The tunnel

Nha Trang Travel Blog

The safety trench

I paced back and forth waiting for the 12:46 from Hanoi and other points north. Realizing it was Sunday, I wondered if the train would show at all but finally, at 1:00 p.m., its distant horn bellowed and I switched my camera on. In no time, the express rounded a bend and sped toward me and the tunnel.

I often wondered what it would be like in there when a train came through. I would stand in the narrow safety trench, spread-eagle with my back clinging the rock wall. My left hand would hold the bicycle in place and my right grip the camera. I decided against using the flash for fear of startling the engineer. I imagined my hat swirling away as the diesel engine pushed a powerful blast of air like a giant syringe so tucked it into my shoulder bag. Sunglasses too - no need for those in a tunnel.

But this was just a dry run. I needed a closer look at clearances before ever attempting the stunt. I stood against steep rocks outside the north entrance, out of sight of the signalman at the opposite end. Even with the safety trench, it looked like less than eighteen inches between the wall and speeding train.

rotorhead85 says:
Yeah, think I'll pass on this one - must be getting old. :(
Posted on: Mar 09, 2010
Dr_Seuss says:
Think a few weeks on a diet might be reccomended before you try this stunt Dan :D
Posted on: Mar 07, 2010