Year of the Tiger

Nha Trang Travel Blog

The old man and his wife

Out on Ngoc Thao island, the 85 year old man and his wife were thrilled when I handed them copies of pictures that I had taken about a year ago. They offered money I could never take from friends; their beaming one-tooth smiles were reward enough. The small gift was timely, being the last day of the lunar year and their first days of the Year of Tiger would be spent with family.

Back in Nha Trang, it seemed the good deed was quickly returned. The couple at the house whose second floor room I rent had a buffet of food spread across their living room floor. They insisted I join them for the mid-day meal. Though I had just eaten a large breakfast, I could not offend them by passing on the offer.

Fountain and Tourist Center
Hai and Lanh's children - along with their own spouses and children - sat cross-legged on the floor, around the feast, munching from small bowls. Curried beef and potato, fried squid, and a whole chicken (head, claws, and all) were served along with a wide assortment of salads, dips, and vegetables. Besides tasty fruits, one dessert was sticky rice rolled around a cheese and pork filling.

By early evening I walked to April 2 Square - riding the bicycle would be suicidal. The stage was alive with entertainers doing songs and colorful dances but I could not get as close to it as on prior years. I circled it once then worked my way toward the opposite end. The entire square was jam packed with people, many with their motorbikes. A few food and balloon venders scattered randomly throughout.

Beyond the Tourist Center tower which was shaped like a giant lotus blossom, crowds thickened to see the tunnel of lights that shrouded Tran Phu Street.

Fireworks from Y and Tien's
Tiny blue and white bulbs draped the street for several blocks past some of the high-dollar hotels. 'Happy New Year' in Vietnamese crowned its entrance and Tiger beer logos displayed on all its side columns. Long lines waited to enter three beachfront coffee shops.

After doubling back to the stage-end of the rectangular square, I crossed Tran Phu for a sidewalk beer at Y and Tien's street-side kiosk. It was a fine spot to wait for the fireworks to begin. At twelve fireworks rang in the new year and I toasted it, finishing off a Tiger beer. I dashed back across Tran Phu to try and get a picture of the fireworks with a palm tree in it. I hadn't experimented much with night photography. The skies lit for about twenty minutes then the crowds flooded home.

Fireworks from Y and Tiens