The VW, squid, and a game called Xiu Tai

Nha Trang Travel Blog

The VW - bar on wheels

One night last week a 1968 orange and white Volkswagen van rolled up to the Alamo Bar. The Bavarian driving it looked for a place to open shop for a few days - his VW had been converted into a mobile bar and entertainment center. The top opened like the lid of a coffin and at least one side hinged level to make the bar top. I had seen them before in Thailand and Australia but this one drove up from Saigon. The concept seemed brilliant. A few days later, rumor had the VW set up by the port area. I pedaled out there hoping to enjoy a street-side beer but there were no Volkswagens to be seen in the parking lot or on the street.

On the way back to town I detoured into meter-wide alleyways to see where they went.

Xiu Tai
A small self-contained community thrived in the narrow lanes; houses, grocery stores, eateries, and a tailor shop. I found nice views of Nha Trang Bay and of the beach from near its far southern end. A lively group at an outside table invited me for a beer. Though none spoke English, I was able to learn that one was a diver using mask and snorkel. They put a small dish of squid in front of me. One piece was flat and dried and the other rolled and stuffed. Both were tougher than any jerky I had eaten in the States or South Africa. Their flavor seemed somewhere between seaweed and dirty socks but both went well, gnawed with a spicy sauce and beer.

Once the curiosity of my presence faded, a gathered crowd of children and adults went back to a dice game called Xiu Tai. The 'board', a black mat rolled out in the alley, was divided into halves and had a series of numbers across the top. Parents fronted 'lucky' kids to place hefty bets. Even 100,000 VN Dong notes changed hands. A little girl of four or five shook dice in a tea cup. My hosts paid for my two beers and the squid. The woman running the place handed me a toothpick and I pedaled home.

Ms. Piggy and the VW