Riding the Sun

Sihanoukville Travel Blog

Jumper at Saracen Bay

Last March I did the day-trip on the Sun and had such a great time that I decided to do it again on this trip. We had cruised past the beaches of Sihanoukville to visit several of the islands to the southeast. Swimming and snorkeling off Koh Ta Kiev was the highlight of that excursion. Lounges, a spacious bar, shaded chill-out pads, and sun loungers scattered across three decks allowing plenty of space for the forty or more passengers. The German Robert had the twin diesel luxury motor-yacht specially built in Phnom Penh. Upon completion, he cruised it down the Mekong River and around the southern part of Vietnam to the Cambodia coast where dozens of unspoiled islands dot the waters just waiting to be discovered.

Going to shore

On this day-trip we headed west. We passed the tiny island of Koh Dek Koul which was dominated by temples and a couple of other buildings, almost resembling a miniature Asian Alcatraz. The eastern tip of Koh Kaong Kang had a lighthouse and somewhere beyond that we dropped anchor off its rocky shore.

The crew handed out fins, masks, and snorkels to anyone who wanted them. Others leapt from the upper deck into deep and clear waters to swim nearer the Sun. After an hour or more, we continued west toward Koh Rung Samloem. A tug boat towing a huge barge passed our bow. Used for hauling sand, the barge rode high on the water so must have been empty. I wondered how many of the loads would be required to replace the storm-lost beach back at Serendipity.

The captain dropped anchor in the blue-green waters of Saracen Bay.

Orbiting the Sun
Several miles of white sand beaches lined the tropical shore. Another deck hand hauled passengers there with the outboard motorboat. Robert led a small group upstream into forest along a freshwater stream. Some swam or snorkeled to the beach, treaded water around the Sun, or just lounged her decks. One gregarious group manned the bar and, even anchored, the Sun was alive with music, cheer, and laughter.

I launched one of the onboard kayaks, strapped my camera around my neck, and orbited the Sun a few times taking pictures. I paddled to shore, staying just long enough to feel the warm sand on my feet and to take a few more photos and a leak. After two hours on the bay, we  pulled anchor and headed back to Sihanoukville, arriving right around sunset. Next time I come back to the Cambodia coast, I will definitely ride the Sun again.

ccjbeachbum says:
sounds like a awesome time
Posted on: Apr 15, 2012
bobdelongchamp says:
looks like a good time
Posted on: Nov 22, 2009
LIPOsan says:
i wish i can make this trip also one time
Chaweng