Ride to Ho Chi Minh City

Ho Chi Minh City Travel Blog

Rest stop

The Phuong Trang bus company must be Vietnam's main carrier, like Greyhound in America. Their orange busses are new, clean, and comfortable and their rest stops well-planned. The run from Dalat to Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) took about seven hours including three rest stops; two fairly short and one long enough for a dollar meal. From a buffet style selection, I chose rice and a grilled porkchop. The ride was comfortable except for the Vietnamese girl sitting next to me who puked most of the way. I give her credit for doing so with dignity - an occasional quiet cough into a clear plastic bag. There was no retching and she did not splatter my feet. Fortunately there was no odor which probably would have got me going too.

Most of the traveler accommodations are in District 1 where prices are astronomical, as in any major city I suppose.

The building says it all
For the same $2 cost of a Saigon Beer at the Go2, for example, I bought two Saigon Exports and two packs of cigarettes just two blocks away. The busy intersection was a fine place to sit at a sidewalk table and awe the choreographed flow of Saigon's rush hour traffic. The city has over nine million motorbikes and they all seemed to pass by. It was amazing how thousands of 100cc engines produced a steady rumble as though I was at a NASCAR race in the USA. Hawkers and hustlers didn't single me out, but pestered locals as well. One man selling lottery tickets pushed a cart with a young baby. A young girl led the way for an elder blind relative in a similar bid for sympathy. I took up the same response as the locals with a quick shake 'no' of my head and they politely  moved on.

The 08:45 for Ho Chi Minh City