Rainy day at the Dam Market

Nha Trang Travel Blog

Second floor

I packed nothing with long sleeves on this trip so went to the Dam Market to shop for a jacket. I'll need one for next week's trip to Dalat, up in the Central Highlands. There won't be snow up there but it will feel like it. Then I'll use it again around April when I reach the U.S., and in Europe if I go that way.

Most clothing, textiles, and tailors were all on the second floor where a narrow aisle overlooked the main floor of the round building. I made one complete circuit before going back to the only quality coat that I liked. The vender reached it down with a long stick. Its two plies would be suitable for blocking wind and holding warmth and it won't take up any more space in my daypack than the hammock. It has pockets on the inside which are always handy and the outside has enough buttons, flaps, and zippers to easily confuse any would-be pick-pocket.

Waiting for the rain to stop
The jacket was marked 500,000 VN Dong but I managed to get it down to 400,000. That equals about U.S. $20 - a major purchase in Nha Trang, for me anyway.

A heavy rain started while I was in there so I decided to browse around some more and take a few photos. The Dam Market is generally known as a rip-off place for tourists. Venders selling T-shirts, hats, luggage, or arts & craft items constantly pestered me as I passed, "Buy something, buy something?" That turned me off to even looking at what they had to offer so I went to look for an outside place for a cold drink. Just across the first narrow lane that circles the market perimeter, I found a cluster of small eateries. A waitress there too wanted ten thousand at first, then six, before finally confessing to the going price of 5,000 Dong for an iced coffee.

rotorhead85 says:
Dalat is about 5,000 feet above sea level!
Posted on: Dec 05, 2010
muctieuvietnam says:
"I'll need one for next week's trip to Dalat, up in the Central Highlands.".

Hey Dan,

I've been following your Nha Trang experience. Great descriptive experiences, almost as if I'm also experiencing itself. As I also want to know more about Đà Lạt, I look forward to following your trip to Đà Lạt. What is the temperature and weather difference between the two place? Heavy coat/snow or windbreaker weather versus tropical beach?
Posted on: Dec 04, 2010