The No-fly list

London Travel Blog

Early morning train

The District Line of the London Underground was actually above ground all the way from Southfields to Earl's Court. I was able to watch the sun rise above endless rows of gray streets lined with pointed rooftops that were dotted with red-brick chimneys. The early train had few commuters. I transferred to the Piccadilly Line and got to Heathrow Terminal 2 with plenty of time to spare.

After finding the Scandinavian Airlines counter and getting my boarding pass, I braved the chilly outside air for a cup of coffee and a Vietnamese cigarette. The belt on my Wrangler jeans cinched two extra notches since the beginning of my eight-month trip. Those, a T-shirt under my button-up shirt, a sweatshirt, and shoes and socks all barely kept me from shivering.

Airbus A380 at Heathrow
But wearing the heaviest clothes rendered my daypack light and loose and easy to haul around.

I finally moped through security screening and immigration to the dreaded boarding gate. After the cramped and crowded transatlantic flights last September I had put Scandinavian Airlines on my own no-fly list. I regretted having a round-trip ticket. At a neighboring gate, a Singapore Airlines Airbus A380 dwarfed other airliners and the ground support equipment that serviced it. I wished my ride was on that flying palace. But to my great relief, the flight to Copenhagen was a roomy double-aisled Airbus. When the service cart rattled to my row I ordered a coffee, forgetting that it came with a hefty price tag. When the stewardess saw my shocked expression, she grinned and told me it was 'on the house'. The flight to Copenhagen took less than two hours and SAS was officially removed from my no-fly list.

vances says:
Glad you didn't get sassed by SAS...
Posted on: Jun 06, 2010