Nha Trang monsoon

Nha Trang Travel Blog

Riding in the rain

Hard rains fell heavy on Nha Trang for a steady thirty-six hours. Overnight temperatures dropped into the upper sixties, my coldest in five months. It felt to me like it could snow. Usually I slept with my light beach/ground-cloth for a blanket since the one supplied was more like a quilt. I could have used it last night though but the quilt was too damp from water blowing in through a bedroom window. Instead, I used my heavy duty hammock from Ko Chang Island as a blanket and slept warm until the rains suddenly stopped around 8:00 a.m.

A few more showers fell as I enjoyed a bacon and eggs breakfast at the Spot. The first table there, where Wilson usually sits in the evenings, had the best view up and down Hung Vuong Street. Besides commuters, only the lottery ticket venders stirred the street.

Wet street
Passersby scurried in rain gear ranging from polka dotted plastic suits to colorful ponchos and umbrellas. A few had no protection at all. Cyclo taxis had their canopies extended but only those with passengers or cargo had their sides down.

After a few photos from the Spot I pedaled over to Nguyen Thien Thuat, the next street inland. I tried to ride on the edge of puddles but in some places water crossed the street and onto sidewalks. I went to an outdoor vender next to the Cyclo Café to sip an iced coffee and get better photos. Nguyen Thien Thuat makes its left turn toward the beach there so the place has nice views up two streets. The rain had stopped again and by the time I finished my coffee, the street had completely drained. I stopped at the A-Mart convenience store and replenished groceries - the next monsoon rain could fall much longer.

Dr_Seuss says: