Nha Trang flooding

Nha Trang Travel Blog

Veggie vender in the rain

The Nha Trang rainy season is continuing into November this year.  As day four of this latest monsoon rages on, much of the main streets around the traveler's area of the city are under water. Renting the 'penthouse' at Wilson and Tuyet's house has kept my feet dry three floors above the floods but I decided to venture into them to try and get photos without ruining my camera. Water was about an inch deep at the bottom of the stairs. Though the living room contains a leather couch, a table with a computer, and a small shrine that honors Tuyet's ancestors, it is also used for parking three or four motorbikes and three bicycles. When I rolled mine into the alley-like street it sunk to the axles! I walked the bike in knee-deep water to  the Spot and ordered a hot coffee.

Flooded Nguyen Thien Thuat Street

Hung Vuong Street was flooded all the way across. Water lapped within two inches of the floor at the Spot but didn't wash in. Motorbikes idled past with their tailpipes sputtering bubbles. Some riders waded theirs while others plowed through at good speed. Pedestrians trudged ankle-deep under colorful umbrellas and one older woman pushed a cart selling vegetables and quail eggs. The rains didn't want to let up. I finished my coffee and rode to deeper waters.

My feet took turns submerging as I pedaled along the centerline of Nguyen Thien Thuat Street. The going was tough plowing through the flood waters, like pedaling uphill with low tires and a heavy load,  but I made it to the Same Same But Different and had breakfast. Water covered two inches of the floor.

Walkway erosion
Bus and taxi cab drivers proceeded at normal speed sending foot-high waves sweeping into the place. Of several dozen, only one driver had the common courtesy to slow down. Perhaps he was one of those yesterday whose taxi had been pelted by sticks and stones by other irate business owners.

I rounded the deep corner and stopped at the Australian-owned Bar Oz.  A round piece of wood floated by that I had passed a quarter-mile back and one clever bloke used as a boogie board. I approached the beach by the Sailing Club and it looked like a tsunami had hit the area. Some of its thatched beach umbrellas were   laying on their sides and others destroyed or gone altogether. A good section of the tiled walkway was gone. Water from town cascaded to eat a deep gorge across the beach and into the bay. The entire beach was littered with debris, palm tree branches, and driftwood. Heavy surf pounded the shore. I felt sorry for the travelers who were on a schedule and stopped in Nha Trang for just a few days of sunny beaches. They picked a bad time for that. And locals say the worst is yet to come.

My street, my bike