New Camera and Ms. Piggy

London Travel Blog

Inside the electronics shop

There was really no alternative, I had to buy a new camera just days into an extended trip. My nephew Nate offered to haul the defective new one back to Chicago where other relatives could get it to Upper Michigan for me. By the time I get home it will probably be too late for a refund but at least I'll have the worthless piece of crap for a not-too-friendly show-and-tell session with a Wal-Mart manager. I know, I have only myself to blame for buying the camera too near departure to properly check it out. I mistakenly assumed that the new product would actually continue working beyond five or six test shots. It is even more embarrassing to admit shopping at Wal-Mart but thanks to them, K-Mart, and Shopko, all of the local mom & pop camera stores within a hundred mile radius were out of business and boarded shut.

Nate told me where I could find a new camera in London. Dozens of electronic shops lined the streets near the Tottenham Court Road exit off the Northern Line.

Bagpiper
I browsed several to see what models were on hand and their going prices before selecting a Fujifilm model S2000. Slightly bulkier than the previous camera, it had a good feel with a nice grip that allowed for easy one-hand operation. It also had much better performance with faster focus and shutter times. After a few test photos in and around the shop, I was pleased by the sharper pictures that were not streaked.

I walked to Piccadilly Circus for better photos of that London landmark. Instead of continuing toward Green Park and Buckingham Palace like the other day, I turned south to meet the Themes River at Westminster. Big Ben was another London landmark to photograph and, over the bridge, the London Eye.

I stopped on the bridge to photograph Ms. Piggy. Since no one from my home town in Michigan was willing to travel, I brought the little pig - figurine model and mascot from which the sign and logo for JC's Bar in Gladstone was designed - to photograph at various locations around the world.

Ms. Piggy and Big Ben
Surly even those non-traveling drinkers back home would recognize Big Ben.

Pictures from the London Eye would be spectacular from its 400-foot height but a ticket cost 17.5 Pounds - about US$30. Photos of the contraption itself would have to do.

the_bill says:
I could tell you where to get one in Munich. I had to buy a replacement camera during a trip there once and so did two of my friends!
Posted on: Dec 21, 2009