Motorbike rental

Nha Trang Travel Blog

Yamaha Sirius

My second-hand bicycle got stolen from in front of the Alamo bar last month. I'd used it to pedal the flat lands from the Nha Trang coast out to national Highway 1, about seven miles inland. It was perfect for exploring the area's two rivers, dozens of bridges, countless temples, churches, coconut groves, and lots of rice paddy. Bicycling those many miles of country road prepared me for bolder and better adventures so I didn't really mind that she was gone.

Now I ride a motorbike - a Yamaha 110cc Sirius - imported from Japan. Rented by the month it comes out to US$2 per day. Gasoline is a dollar a liter. A driver's license is not required at this time but those laws are beginning to be enforced down in Ho Chi Minh City so it's just a matter of time.

Irrigation canal

I continue to explore many of the eastern foothills of the Central Highlands between Nha Trang and Cam Ranh. Following back-country wagon-roads and rocky trails, I was not able to completely circle any of the three reservoirs that I found (thanks to Google Earth). Those attempts led through rugged hills of bamboo and eucalyptus forest scattered with banana plantations and cashew farms. My curiosity shifted to the irrigation canals flowing from the reservoirs. They pass ox-plowed farmlands, white sand sugar cane plantations, and mango orchards on their flow to the lower-laying rice paddies. One canal crosses the railroad line so I follow that regularly to Cam Ranh town. Villages or small towns never seem to be more than five miles away - far enough to give the feel of being in the middle of Vietnam and close enough to ride into on a flat tire.

sylviandavid says:
I took a motorcycle class but failed it. A two day class and I had never ridden but it was fun trying although it was hecka expensive. .... Love that you found things to explore with google earth....
Posted on: Jan 07, 2012