Flight to Chicago

Chicago Travel Blog

Skies over Iceland

My Scandinavian Airlines flight from Copenhagen passed right over Iceland. With a window seat on the left side, I hoped to catch glimpse of the volcanic ash cloud that had European airports shut down for several days in recent weeks. But I found no evidence of the violent event; no billowing black clouds or streams of gray ash drifting south where airports in Spain and Turkey were still closed. Nothing outside or below looked unusual. My attention turned to episodes of 'Two and a Half Men' and 'Big Bang Theory' on the small screen in the seatback in front of me.

Though I had completely forgotten, SAS remembered that I requested a Hindu meal for the flight to London back in September. I was served before cart service even began; Tandoori chicken breast with rice and vegetables in a tasty curry sauce. A complimentary French wine went nicely with the meal.

Skies remained clear and endless snowfields of Greenland passed below us. We entered U.S. airspace from Sault St. Marie, Canada, and turned west over Grand Rapids, Michigan. The flight was just under nine hours but time passed quickly. It was 7:30 in the evening when we landed in Chicago. Since we don't have Indian restaurants anywhere near my town in Upper Michigan, I'm going Hindu again next time I book an overseas flight.

Entering U.S. airspace