Exploring Leiden with Keiko

Leiden Travel Blog

With Keiko at Beans and Bagle

Out beyond Schipol International Airport and past Haarlem the towns got smaller and an occasional windmill passed my window. I had always been fascinated by those Dutch icons. I took the numerous plantations of yellow and orange flowers  to be tulips but didn't know their season. My IC Train out of Amsterdam only took half an hour too reach Leiden and Keiko (KeikoCreative) was at the point where we had prearranged to meet right at the train station. It was always a thrill to meet another TravBuddy while on the road. After getting acquainted over coffee and a light snack, she led me down cobblestone streets to show some of the sights.

Leiden

We strolled the Rhine toward the De Put windmill which seemed odd from traditional windmills - being much smaller with a newer-looking rectangular shape and barn-like roof. It was painted black with white trim. Nearby, a bridge led us past Rembrandt's house. A small square behind it had a commemorative statue of the artist. Keiko pointed out many of the buildings, old and new, of the historic University of Leiden, oldest in the Netherlands since 1575. The town's colorful history was beyond my comprehension but that didn't stop my fascination. Its many canals, churches, museums, bridges, and early 17th Century architecture made Leiden an exciting city to explore. Its blend of historic and modern character, and dynamic youthful lifestyle, made it easy to see anyone wanting to live or study here.

Panoramic views from the circular De Burcht Castle were spectacular.

Dome of the Marekerk, built 1649
The fortress was built on a man-made hill primarily for refuge from flooding; but in following centuries, defense against Roman, Bavarian, and Spanish invaders. The town grew from the strategic site and placards depict historic churches and buildings dominating the modern Leiden skyline.

The day was a little chilly so we enjoyed another cappuccino near the Koorn Bridge. The many waterside bistros, bars, and restaurants lining much of the Old and New Rhine Rivers seemed as popular with students and local residents as with tourists and visitors. Further along, specialty and brand-name outlet shops, restaurants, bakeries, and business offices all lined Haarlemmerstraat.  We stopped to browse a large department store, primarily to dodge a light rain. We roamed its aisles and rode its escalators. I bought AA batteries for my camera which had little rest in the picturesque town.

Ms. Piggy in the Netherlands

On the way back to the train station, we stopped at the classic Molen de Valk windmill which had been converted into a museum.  A signboard had a real nice cut-away schematic of the structure's seven floors and showed an array of gears and shafts that could drive pumps or machinery. Unfortunately the museum was about to close but I was thrilled to know where I will eventually come to learn about windmills. We crossed a nearby four-lane street to a park where Keiko held Ms. Piggy in the palm of her right hand. I was able to get a picture the JC's Bar logo with a classic windmill in the background. My afternoon in Leiden was rather short but long enough to make me know that I will be back to explore, learn, and discover more of this Netherlands city. Thank you Keiko!

Africancrab says:
Great blog Dan, you always add such detail to your trips. Lovely
Posted on: Jan 26, 2010
Jopin says:
I've always loved reading your blog, Dan! Hope to bump into you in Siem Reap!
Posted on: Oct 09, 2009
Rembrandt Bridge and house
Rembrandt Bridge and house
Leiden from Rembrandt Bridge
Leiden from Rembrandt Bridge
De Put windmill from Rembrandts h…
De Put windmill from Rembrandt's …
Sculptures behind Rembrandts house