Doha to London

London Travel Blog

Street in Southfields

Out of Doha, Qatar Airlines flight 5 followed the Persian Gulf along the Arabian coast passing several of its Emirates and Kuwait. We crossed Iraq from south to north then banked more westerly over Turkey.

Daybreak came somewhere above Poland or Germany and we finally landed in London at 7:30 in the morning. Overcast skies, strong bitter winds, and blowing rain were hardly summer-like and pretty tough punishment after seven months in the tropics. Vietnam had been growing ever hot and humid as its rainy season approached.

I had no shoes since abandoning them for flip-flops in Cambodia back in October. I zipped the legs onto a pair of light-weight cargo shorts that I bought in Branson, Missouri a couple of years ago. A sweatshirt from the Old Navy store in Chicago on another trip did not keep me from shivering in the cold Old World.

I rode the Piccadilly Line from Heathrow to Earl's Court on a 3.50-Pound Underground ticket. The fare included a transfer on the District Line to Southfields. It was great to see my nephew Adam, his wife Bella, and the kids again. I was happy to hear that Dorothy received the card I had sent from Nha Trang; three-year-olds are always thrilled to get mail. I have no idea when my next trip through London will be but remain eager to practice cricket sometime with Christian at nearby Coronation Park. Jet-lag is probably worse traveling west where sleep feels less needed. Finally around 7:00 p.m. I dozed and didn't wake until six the next morning.

photo by: ulysses