'Digger' by the cemetery

Nha Trang Travel Blog

Passenger train coming out of the tunnel

It was the first sunny day in more than a week. Winds were still strong out of the north but narrow side streets blocked it nicely as I pedaled to the railroad bridge at the Cai River. Just as I got across, a train sped out of the nearby tunnel. With the Tet (lunar new year) holiday under way, more trains than normal are riding the rails. I crossed the tracks after it passed then walked back out onto the bridge to see if the nearby rickety Vinh Ngoc bridge had been rebuilt after being washed away in a monsoon storm. I was glad to see it back in service, less than a mile upstream.

I walked the bike through the tunnel to the back side of rugged hills. Construction was taking place on a new building, and a road had been built where a footpath once followed the rail line.

Underpass to the cemetery
Progress seems to be inching inland. The new road's surface was smooth concrete, dusted with sand. A small underpass leading to the Vinh Phuoc hillside cemetery came up fast. When I hit the brakes and started a quick right turn into it, the bicycle slid out from under me. Besides my right ankle and forearm, road rash on my knee now matches left leg scars from a collision with a motorbike 2 or 3 years ago. That 'digger' was also in January; maybe a bad month to be on the road - or a good one to stay away from cemeteries. While I took a picture of the underpass, a passenger train raced by toward the north.

I pedaled another 500 yards to the Nui San railroad crossing where Lien fixed me an iced coffee and provided a bowl of water to clean my wounds.

Vinh Hai Beach
Her parents have a small roadside store there and I always like to make it a rest stop. Lien studies economics at the university during the week and works at the family store on weekends. Her English is minimal so she is always eager to practice it. Another passenger train passed to the north.

I crossed the tracks and headed toward Vinh Hai Beach which was about a mile and a half as the crow flies. The road passed the colorful Thien Lam Pagoda and came out by the Vinh Hai Market. Yellow flowers being sold for the Tet holiday filled its parking lot. I continued toward the beach and stopped at the Canadian-owned Tide Hotel for a cold beer. That beach is much more quiet and scenic than Nha Trang's. And much less frequented by foreigners, prices there are considerably lower. The wind was at my back as I followed the shoreline to the Tran Phu Bridge, crossed the Cai River there, and pedaled home to the backpacker area. It was an easy ten mile ride, except maybe for the 'digger' by the cemetery.

sylviandavid says:
Wow.... digger was different that i thought when I read the title.... Thought it was machinery not a "wipe out".... love the Vinh Hai beach ...
Posted on: Jan 07, 2012
cneoridium says:
Yikes!
Well, at least your sides match now!
Posted on: Jan 30, 2011
Passenger train coming out of the …
Passenger train coming out of the…
Train