Copenhagen Travel Blog

Copenhagen Airport

Skies were overcast and rainy as we landed in Copenhagen. I didn't mind the round-about routing through Scandinavia since I was homeward bound and in no particular hurry to get there. The terminal building was a pleasant place to spend a two-hour lay-over. Two spacious levels were not jammed with the usual hoards of shops and news stands selling the same items. Thirty years ago I would have probably bee-lined to their Burger King for a familiar taste of home but instead browsed a 7-11 looking for any small souvenir that was aviation oriented. Nostalgic airline posters down-sized to post cards or refrigerator magnets were available in many parts of Europe but not here unfortunately.

I noticed a familiar blue packet of Turkish Pepper ( Tyrkisk Peber) hard candies and remembered the Danish military troops that I had partied  with in Iraq and Kuwait between the Gulf Wars.

Turkish Pepper
They had a nice bar set up in the DMZ. They dissolved the candies in bottles of Russian vodka to flavor a potent drink they called black death and said it was the national drink of Denmark. I used some Euros that I still had to make the purchase since I had no Kroners and needed to save my Dollars for getting home from Chicago.

There was no smoking anywhere in the terminal so I cleared immigration and stepped outside. Except for a lack of snow, it felt like winter. A fellow puffer was a Danish baggage handler and I proudly showed him my bag of Turkish pepper. He told me they dissolve quicker when crushed first which I thought was a brilliant idea. Now I was eager to get home and impress my friends at the next camp-fire party in Upper Michigan with the famous drink from Denmark.

Statue at Copenhagen Airport