Conquering the Donau

Hochstadt an der Donau Travel Blog

The Donau

The Danube is the second longest river in Europe after the Volga. It originates in the Black Forest of Germany then flows 1771 miles eastward through nine other countries before emptying into the Black Sea in Ukraine and Romania. The river is called the Donau on its flow through Germany and I found access to it near the bridge at Dillingen.

Serious bicyclists and hikers commonly trek the popular river's entire length in a summer or two but the few that I encountered were probably locals. They weren't wearing spandex, toting plastic water bottles, or hauling heavy backpacks full of camping gear. Instead, they pedaled or strolled the two-rut bush trail at a more casual pace, absorbing the fresh air of a colorful fall season in a pristine setting.

Family of swans on the Donau
Some even lingered, but not to take pictures like I did. After all, it was like their back yard, their everyday world; but to me, a brilliant new one.

Its scenic wilderness was spectacular. Leaves had started to turn color and others fell from trees. Those across the Donau reflected nicely on calm blue waters. I slung my camera strap around my neck and paused often to snap photos. The only wildlife that I saw were a family of swans. I stopped for a long while to watch them drift and feed close to the bank. The two adults were white and their four youngsters, nearly the same size, gray. They didn't seem disturbed by my presence, some fifteen yards away.

Further along, a gray haired gentleman in a brown sweater greeted me with a smile while gesturing his right index finger side to side.

The bridge to Hochstadt
I understood the signal and realized that the wide path was actually off-limits to motorized vehicles, even rollers. But by then I was already half way to Hochstadt. Despite the feelings of shame and guilt, I decided to continue anyway and throttled-back to a slower, quieter pace. I reckoned that I could always play dumb by not understanding German if stopped by the police. Any fine imposed would certainly be worth the experience. I had only glimpsed the Danube a couple of times before on travels through Vienna and Budapest but here in Bavaria would hold her at my side for just a few more kilometers.

I bypassed the bridge leading into Steinheim - my intended route to a main road - and kept going along the river. I was hooked on the setting. Shortly after passing a meter-high dam which also housed locks for occasional boat traffic, I reached the bridge leading into Hochstadt. Though I had only traveled eight kilometers from the bridge at Dillingen, I felt that I had conquered the mighty Blue Danube.  After a couple of cheerful beers at Walter's place, I motored back to Wertingen sometime after dark.

Trail along the Donau