Buying another Bicycle

Nha Trang Travel Blog

The bicycle shop

My second-hand Martin 107 bicycle of two years had vanished when the friend it was stored with moved to a new house. Also missing were his grill, several power tools, and other items. The pair of shoes and socks that I left were also gone … but I needed wheels.

I found the side-street bicycle shop - near the tall soldier statue - where I had purchased the 107 and wondered the odds of buying it back. But after browsing several models hanging high on a workshop wall, I found my choice parked in the back row of used bicycles right on the sidewalk - a grayish silver Misen 600. Most bikes displayed there were pre-owned electric powered. My only requirements were that the regular bicycle have narrow tires for an easy pedal with a long glide, and a basket for carrying my shoulder bag, groceries, or goodies hauled home from the market.

The Misen600
All the bikes had rear cargo racks. It was also important to look weathered and well-used, making it a less attractive target for thieves. The prerequisites fell conveniently into the price range that I was willing to pay.

A mechanic in blue coveralls toted my selection into the shop and proceeded to render it roadworthy. He installed the pedals, aired the tires, and adjusted brakes and handlebars. Other mechanics tinkered with a Yamazuki scooter out front. I wondered if that brand was the result of a Japanese merger or the snappy name of a Chinese copy. The small decal of a panda bear on the chain guard of the Misen 600 told me that my own new ride was China-made. Other markings included cat footprints leading up the frame toward the swept-back handle bars. Those should be stylish from mid-February when we enter the Year of the Tiger.

Soldier statue