EuropeGermanyUlm

The Bus to Germany and One Vicious Dog

Ulm Travel Blog

It cost 54 Euros for a bus ticket to Ulm, Germany, about a quarter of the price for a train ticket. The almost 12-hour, overnight, Eurolines Nederland ride was smooth and comfortable without the erratic swerving and constant horn blowing like the busses in Cambodia or Vietnam. I never heard the horn once and had to wonder if it even worked. Less than half the seats were occupied and I was actually able to doze between periodic rest stops. I munched bread and cheese with some of the venison sausage that I had brought from home. It was 10:30 when we pulled out of the terminal next to the Amstel metro station;  5:00 a.m. when I swapped busses in Frankfurt; and just after ten when I arrived in Ulm which was somewhere between Stuttgart and Munich.

The bus terminal in Ulm was right next to the train station. Walter was there scanning the arrival schedule when I stepped off the bus. I had met him on Ko Chang Island off eastern Thailand about four years ago and it was he that I tagged along with on my first trip into Cambodia along the coastal route.

As I reached for the door handle of his BMW station wagon, his stout killer dog Chaweng let loose with a barrage of snarling, growling, vicious barks like a junkyard dog in upper Michigan determined to protect its owner's property. It would be several hours and a few cautious snacks before I'd be able to befriend the beast. The nine-year-old dog was named for the popular beach on Ko Samui Island off southern Thailand. Walter never had to lock his car. We drove east on narrow winding roads into the Bavarian countryside.

bkretzer says:
Picture to follow of your new friend and car security system, Chaweng? LOL
Posted on: Oct 10, 2009