Buddha Hill

Nha Trang Travel Blog

Buddha

I pushed my bike up Buddha hill which was far too steep to pedal. Sitting cross-legged on top of the tallest hill in Nha Trang, the nine-meter high Buddha is visible from miles away in all directions. More than once the dominating monument pointed my way back toward the city from wayward countryside expeditions. I wasn't so interested in seeing the huge statue up close again having already been there two years ago, instead, wanted to see if I could find another way down the hill.

After savoring an iced coffee in an equally cooling breeze, I circled the white statue several times taking a few pictures that I already had.

Old temple
Only a handful of other visitors strolled the area, most arriving by taxi. The road ended about a hundred yards past the Buddha and a footpath continued. Hillsides dropped steep and rocky. Views south looked out over the green rice fields of the Dong Bo River basin. The trail ended at the crumbled walls of an abandoned building. Through one of its doorways that opened to the top of a cliff, I found the best views. The Vinh Phuoc hills loomed to the north. I could see the ship-shaped church on Ngoc Thao island but only glimpsed small fragments of the Cai River which was hidden by thick tropical trees. The Tran Phu Bridge arced above an older part of town to the east which extended right to the base of the hill below me. I spotted a rickety wooden bridge down there that I would have to find when I got down.

Near the abandoned building, a real old fenced off temple was decorated with swastikas.  The place looked operational but was locked shut. A paved sidewalk led to a larger pagoda. It appeared the entire hill must be a sacred place. A monk in gray robes appeared and did not seem bothered by my presence. I couldn't find another way down the hill so returned to the big Buddha and walked the bike back down.

Dr_Seuss says:
Think you are going to need a new bike soon Dan :D
Posted on: Feb 26, 2010