Back in Sihanoukville

Sihanoukville Travel Blog

Kitchen at the Te Lee Hong

The morning bus ride to Sihanoukville passed quickly as I sorted music on my ipod. Only a dozen seats or so were occupied. With plenty of vacant seats this time of year the bus stopped frequently to pick up local roadside passengers. The driver made extra pocket money that way. When it stopped at the BP gas station three miles from our destination, I stepped off, much closer to Victory Hill. I rode a motorbike taxi there and rented my own, a Chinese copy of a Honda Dream. It was complete with forged emblems, stickers, and paint scheme. The machine would work just fine for the nineteen days that I still had remaining on my 30-day visa.

I made my way downtown along Ekareach Street to find a $3.

Running in the rain
30 room at the No Backpackers, a fairly new place in an old building. I had stayed there several years ago when it used to be called the Café Venezia. I had run into its previous owner, Alex, just last week in Siem Reap. He left the guesthouse business behind to specialize in guiding Italian tourists all over Cambodia. A Brit or Aussie owned the place now and the rooms themselves hadn't changed. Mine was equipped with a four-poster bed, carpeting, more than enough furniture, a powerful wall fan, fridge, and cable television. Icing on the cake was free wireless internet.

I rode to the Te Lee Hong restaurant across the street from the market to see who else was in town. European friends usually gathered there for afternoon Angkor beers but it appeared that I was the early bird this year. I enjoyed several Angkor drafts anyway. A late afternoon torrential downpour encouraged me to have another along with a fine Khmer meal. People scattered as the street quickly flooded to several inches of flowing rainwater. It was always a thrill to witness the change of another season.

Flooding street