Uden Travel Blog

Memories of Texel 1997
I'm normally not the first one to admit these things, but I think I might actually have been stretching myself a bit too much lately. Not only had a situation of undermanning meant some additional work, but the sheer number of projects I was working on at my day job was also slightly overwhelming. I'm not really someone that compensates with a lot of overtime, simply because I normally have very little leisure time to spare with all of my other activities. Lately I had interviewed Steven Wilson of my favourite band Porcupine Tree and was working on a review of their new album. Another deadline I was facing was the one for the US edition of the book Event Driven Marketing I co-wrote. I'd been working as the editor for the new addition almost every evening for the last couple of weeks. No wonder I lately had the tendency to simply fall asleep on the couch after dinner, only to wake up a couple of hours later. There was no way to deny it anymore ... I needed some relaxation.

I had the last week of in August off because my two sons, Nick (15) and Mike (11) were coming over to stay with me. Normally the definition of relaxation is as far removed from a week with Nick and Mike as you can imagine. Seriously, at times this can be harder work than meeting a publisher's deadlines. There have been times when getting back to work actually felt like a well deserved vacation after one or two weeks with these guys. ;-)
Still, time with the boys is beginning to change since they are actually getting old enough to undertake activities that we both like. Besides, recent conversations with two female friends of mine - let's call them 'Spat' and 'Lotus' - had got me thinking. Perhaps the time was indeed right for some more 'male bonding'. What's more, they had done really well in school last year and, like me I may add, they deserved a treat.

So, what place to get away to which both the boys and myself would like ? It must have been a visit to Paul, one of my travel buddies from Ladakh who would also join me on a trip to Laos later this year, that got me thinking about Texel. Paul had lived on Texel for a while and I had some fine memories about visits to Holland's biggest of the five West Frisian Islands. I'm not sure if I'd been there 2 or 3 times though. The first time was 12 years ago when the Marketing Department of Iams headed for the sea, sand and dunes. Several years later I accompanied the sales force of Georgia Pacific once or twice on their annual promotional round across the Island, selling tabletop and hygiene products (read: napkins and toilet paper, I kid you not) to restaurants. Strange enough, I had however never been there during my own leisure time, even though I had really liked the nature and atmosphere on the island.

So, what better place to go? Texel offered enough fun activities for young and old so we certainly wouldn't be bored. I started looking for accommodation but had some minor setbacks. Since it was Mike's birthday on the 25th - which we'd planned to celebrate at his mother's place - I decided to plan a 4 day trip starting on the 27th. Unfortunately however, most of the bungalows and appartments did not offer accommodation from Thursday to Sunday. After some serious Googling and browsing I found a nice alternative. The Airport Hotel Texel offered a luxurious room with kitchenette. What's more, it seemingly had a marvellous view on the island's airport, which also offered skydiving services. That's where the itch started ... Could I ... Would I ?
anupa_rk says:
Congrats on the feature! Nice read :)
Biedjee says:
gefeliciteerd met je feature mate!
Vanessa_Mun_Yee says:
Congrats on being featured, buddy!
photo by: edsander