a few days in La Paz

La Paz Travel Blog

Downtown La Paz

We ended up staying for three days in La Paz. We needed some time for Aart to get well again and the third day it was going much better than the first. By that time I got to know La Paz quite well, having seen all there is to see (I didn’t mind much staying for three days because La Paz is a fun city), and the third day Aart was strong enough to take him on a tour where I showed him the highlights of the city. That way he too got the feeling of having been in La Paz because he was feeling pretty bored in his room.

One of the highlights that day and our final sight was the San Francisco church. It is a museum and the church gets opened especially for visitors, and it was very very quiet. I could even go upstairs all the way to the roof where there was a guy cleaning and he looked quizzically at me.

In the afternoon things went bad again with Aart and he went to ask the hotel for an english-speaking doctor. The doctor stuff pretty much filled the whole afternoon. Going for a doctor in another country is always a bit spooky but we took the risk. The man was clearly not as well educated as a Dutch doctor but at least he spoke English. He was a bit of a storyteller, which was quite unnecessary for all the wanted was Aart to get better. It turned out that Aart was infected with a well-known parasite that lots of people are suffering from in Bolivia, and many tourists as well, better known as Montezuma’s Revenge.

He got us some pills and the next day we would brave the bus journey to Arica, Chile.

A market in a street