The Inca Trail - day two (challenge)

Cusco Travel Blog

The clouds coming to eat us

Day two is the day of the big climb.

It was still raining when we woke. For a moment I saw the sun above the clouds, shining beautifully on the mountainpeaks, and then the clouds engulfed our valley like a big beast. The climb of today was scaling a mountain pass. The Dead Woman’s Pass of 4215 meter altitude. It is called the Dead Woman’s Pass because the pass looks like a resting woman, but you have to use some imagination.

From the campingsite we could see the pass before us. It doesn’t look so far away when you can see your destination from the start, but it was a hard nut to crack. It took me a full five hours to ascent. All the while it was raining.

On the way I passed some beautiful cloud forests with little waterfalls. These are like lowland jungle but they recieve their moisture only from the clouds. It is very weird to see jungle so high in the mountains! I made only little photographs because I was in a very good hiking rhythm that I didn’t want to give up.

The final 100 meters were expecially though. By then it had started to hail, so I was very cold at the outside but warm and sweaty underneath my poncho. I was really beginning to feel the altitude too. We had ascended for more than a kilometer. The pass was so close that I could see lots of people on there and I really wanted to be up there, but every 10 meters I had to stop and catch my breath again.

On the top it was very windy and cold, so I moved on before my body temperature cooled too much. It was still an hour descending to our second camping site on slippery Inca steps. Still, 4215! The highest point I have ever been!

Jeroenadmiraal says:
This is with a tour :)
RJ82 says:
great cloud photo. is this a tour? or you hiking by yourself without guide?
yadilitta says: