Colca trek - Condors!

Colca Canyon Travel Blog

Taking a rest after the ascent

We got up real early the last day because it would be a long climb up. We started at 5 o clock with the journey. Our guide told us beforehand that the sun would rise and it would be light, but instead the canyon was completely dark. We had to use flashlights to light the path before us. Quite exciting as we were walking next to an abyss! We were not the only group that left early and many were ahead of us. When I looked up, I saw all the climbers as a shimmering snake of lights going up the mountain. That was an awesome sight!

In fact we were the last ones to leave. I stayed behing to light the path for a girl who had no light, but when the sun came up, I turned to my own speed. It would be a race against the clock you know. In two hours time the sun would hit this side of the canyon and we would be flooded in hot sunlight. I had to pick up speed to reach the top before the sun reached me. Together with Aart we passed all the other teams, until we found ourselves alone (I remember Aart was particularly proud of this hehehe).

The final 30 mins the sun was creeping over the side of the canyon, reaching for us, and only the final five mins we were in sunlight. We made it! Going up was even faster than going down! Good thing we were at high altitude for three weeks already. The other tourists came from along the Peruvian coast and I guess were not well adapted yet.

There was one more sight missing in our trip and that was a good look at the condors. True, we had seen condors on the way to the canyon, but only far off. This time we were at the right place at the right time! They were soaring above and beneath us, sometimes only 10 meters away! These are moments to buy an expensive camera for, but I don’t have one (see How My Bag Got Stolen) yet I made the best pictures that I could. It was a fine ending to this trip! The Colca canyon trek was a great journey!

Cabanaconde