Strolling around Miraflores

Lima Travel Blog

downtown Miraflores

"I want to see mountains again! Mountains, Gandalf!"

Peru. Coming from the Netherlands, which is really tiny and flat, every country I visit is BIG and MOUNTAINOUS and I love it! Peru is like a stegosaurus. It's big, ancient, and has snowy peaks on its spine. How can I not like it? Add to that ocean, desert, volcanos, rainforest, people with funny clothes, llamas and ruins of a once glorious civilization. I ask again: how can I not like it? My goodness, I've got to see it for myself!

This I wrote just before I left. Now, looking back, it has been an amazing journey. I have spent six weeks in South America and it has been an adventure in the real sense, with ups and downs and challenges met and overcome. We both (me and my travelbuddy) have had times of bad luck, and great experiences.

Coastline of Lima
In short, a voyage extraordinaire.

Note: the pictures you see here were actually made at the end of the journey, because at one point my bag was stolen and all the photos of the first week were lost.

June 12, in the year 2009. We spend our first day in Lima. What is strange about this city, in my opinion, is that the weather is not hot, which does not confirm with my experiences of faraway cities at the other side of the world. The temperature is just about agreeable, a bit chilly, and I understand it is quite constant throughout the year. At the same time you never see the sun.

Lima has been built on a silly place. It lies at the coast, but since it is built on cliffs of 100 meters high, it has no real port to speak of and recieves little by sea. And most of the time of the year, there is fog from the ocean drifting over, making the sky grey and the air moisty.
Look up! Do you see the paraglider?
Add to this a lot of concrete and puffing cars and you can imagine that Lima can be a downcast place.

We stayed in the Miraflores neighborhood the first day, relaxing after a long long flight. Miraflores and nearby San Isidro are the rich and safest parts of the city and good places to spend the night. While San Isidro is boring, Miraflores is where it all comes together with big shopping areas and cliffside walkways. Here you'll find good restaurants and some nice parks.

The new Larcomar shopping mall at the edge of the cliffs gives a good overview of the Lima experience in Miraflores. You can see most of the coast and the yellow cliffs and the panamerican highway running along down at the stony beaches.
Inca Kola yeah!
The Pacific Ocean is shrouded in mist. The main activity here is paragliding, and I'll guarantee you that you will see paragliders all over the place, barely missing the high expensive hotels and gliding down the cliffs a few miles south.

Another activity is food. Lima is the gastronomical capital of this side of the continent and famous for its sea food. A typical Peruvian speciality is ceviche, which is chucks of raw fish in lime juice with some sweet potato. People generally have some Inca Kola with it. Well, they drink it all day long to be honest. Inca Kola is a bright yellow soda with bubblegum flavour. Don't expect anything resembling a Coca Cola.

All in all a day in Miraflores makes for a nice trip and it is a good place to relax after a flight.

junjunph says:
Congrats!
Lilliana77 says:
Very nice! Congrats on the featured!!!
bernard69 says:
congrats on your featured blog:)
at the Bembos