EuropeGreeceIos

Travel Day: Santorini to Ios

Ios Travel Blog

me with kurt carlton and his assistant

Took a ferry to Ios early in the morning.  The fast ferry takes 1 hour and costs 16 euro, slow ferry takes about 2 1/2 hours and costs 7 euro.  Patrick, Nate and I checked in at Francescos after being picked up at the port by the legend himself, Francesco.  This being my fourth time to Ios, i showed Nate and Patrick around the small town.  Then we went to the grocery store for some necessary supplies.  For lunch and dinner we ate at George Golden Pitta.  The chicken souvlaki pita is delicious, only 2.50 euro.  But after eating that swag for a few weeks, it kind of gets old.

In my opinion, Franciscos hotel is the best place to stay for the money, especially if this will be your first time to Ios.  It is one of the most social hotels i know on Ios.  Everyone meets at the bar around 10pm and pre-parties.  There is a welcome shot and at midnight the Franciscos staff takes the partiers to Blue Note Bar, also owned by Francisco.  Early june the price is 15 euro per person, late june it goes up to 20-25 euro per person.

We followed the "train" to Blue Note, partied there for awhile, and then i dont remember after that.  I heard i had a good time though.

guns in istanbul

I have added what my good friend Kurt Carlton has wrote about Ios.  I did this because he is a professional writer and he really captures Ios in just a few paragraphs...enjoy:

The Final Destination

You could see the excitement gleaming off the eyes of every fun-loving kid on deck with us as our boat slowly tugged itself towards the brown rocky shore of the island. That image of those chalky white buildings along the hills with their blue roofs against that clear, flawless, pristine sky. That image will never fade away, it will be part of every dream I ever have. I could lose everything tomorrow, but that memory will never fade or lose its luster.

This was Ios.

and it was the object of my pilgrimage. it was a long ride coming, so much had happened along the way. I had lost my passport, my blue jacket, my soul and my hope along with it, and then recovered it.

the ferry
I had missed two planes, and bought two more. Taken trains, boats and countless taxis. Took a nasty spill on a motorbike back in Santorini, bought pistols in Istanbul, and fell in love with an angel back in Frankfurt.

And my destination was right there in front of me, I could almost touch it, feel it. With almost no sleep and covered in roadrash I had finally made it, and I was going to swallow a lifetime of dreams here.

It was like the world didn't know about this place. For every lost kid who wanted nothing more than to drink and dream and drift away it was the Holyland, the center of our universe.

I lifted my small bag over my shoulder and I stepped off that boat and onto those rocky shores.

The world disappeared.

me with kurt carlton and his assis…
me with kurt carlton and his assi…
Necessary supplies