Hang Gliding

Rio de Janeiro Travel Blog

happy

Signed up to go hang gliding through our hostel.  Total cost 210 Reals, does not include a ride to and from hostel.  The company does pick you up for 40 reals, and an optional photo cd of the flight was 60 reals.  There also was an option of purchasing a video of the flight, but it was crazy expensive.

The pilots were very professional.  The flight begins about 1800ft above the trees and takes you above the ocean.  Joe and Byron are training to hang glide, so their pilots let them fly solo for a bit.  It lasts about 15 minutes, with a landing on the beach, so if you screw up on the landing, you wont hurt yourself too bad.

After the hang gliding, we pre-partied at the excellent hostel bar.  We met about 15 Norwegian exchange students studying in Cabo Frio.

my pilot
  After the hostel bar closed, we went to the bar next door (i can not remember the name of it).  The bar had 2 rooms, each with a bar and a dj playing a good mix of music.  The place also had a good mix of locals and tourists.

Since it was the weekend, we were told to go to Lapa.  It was a crazy scene.  Imagine Mel Gibson in Madmax.  The streets were crowded with vendors, peddlers, direlects, prostitutes, transients, and other rejects of society.  We walked around for a bit, breathing in the insanity.  The few bars we attempted to patron, did no satisfy everyone we were with for one reason or another, so the entire night was spent people watching in the streets.

Byron ended the night by taking refuge on Copacabana beach with the transients, not recommended by the way.

Hregina says:
Hey there!
I went hang-gliding in Rio as well. Brilliant:-)
Posted on: Jul 08, 2007
Anita!
Anita!
At the bar
At the bar
In front of Stone of a Beach with …
In front of Stone of a Beach with…
being silly