Kiev Apr11-16, 2009

Kiev Travel Blog

The next couple of days were delegated to exploring the  city and setting a slow place to let everything sink in. Arriving on the weekend Kreshchatik Street was closed to traffic and the area had a nice atmosphere with locals out for a stroll and entertainment. The following days in Kiev were filled with sightseeing churches, parks and historic buildings.

One thing I found was how inexpensive it cost for basic items when you buy them at a grocery store. It was nice having my own kitchen in the apartment. How can you go wrong when a bottle of vodka sells for less than a 1.5 liter bottle of water. To give you an idea I bought cheese, 2 beers, small vodka, 1/4 loaf of rye bread, Activia yogurt, pretzels, 2 bottles of water, and 2 pieces of chicken Kiev from the deli for about USD$10.00.

On the 16th I arranged a flight from Kiev to Lviv for USD$65.40 by booking online. The hour and twenty minute flight sounded a lot better than the train option. I allowed plenty of time to get to the airport as this time I wanted to do it on my own. The first obstacle was navigating the subway with absolutely no English signage. The ticket cost 1 UAH and the 20 minute ride took about 40 minutes for me to complete. I walked from the subway to the bus stop for Borispol Airport. I waited, and waited and I didn't see my bus so "plan B" kicked in and I looked for a taxi (that was able to go to the airport). I had 2 hours remaining before my flight departed and I heard it could take over an hour to get to the airport depending upon traffic.  I found a driver and he was brilliant as he knew every short cut and side street in the city and I made it there in 40 minutes.
photo by: Biedjee