Surely Temples

Bangkok Travel Blog

Temples

I had two weeks to spare so I thought Phuket....and what a fantastic two weeks I had in the land of the smile!

I soon discovered it was also a land of 'heroes and heroin'.
There are no signs of health or safety concerns to be found anywhere. Anyone can simply hook up a power cable to the overhead powerlines if they want and its left them all thai'd up in a shocking mess. They also drive like maniacs and, of course, no one works safely.

I was also a fortunate cookie with good weather and fantastic food the whole time I was there.

I got to Koh Samui and Koh Phangan for a Full Moon Party which was certainly lunatic but it was more like a Full of Hoons party.
Temples
It was fun but I wont be doing it again. Almost got crushed and drowned just getting back onto the ferry from a surging crowd of around 100 people pushing us into the ocean.

There was no point moping around so instead I mopeded around Koh Samui. Got right into the gist of riding Thai style which involves steely nerve, lightning reflexes, acute awareness and a complete lack of regard for any rules. In the end all the chaos kind of just works out and I actually felt quite safe.

Like a man walking sideways through a closing door, I also got to Bangkok. Here I realised the country should be called Suitland not Thailand....or possibly even Stinkland.  One night in Bangkok and the world's your oyster, but two nights in Bangkok makes a hard man humble. It is a fun city with plenty to do. There is a temple looming in Wat ever direction you look.
Temples
 I couldn't help thinking if the money spent on temples had been spent on the people instead there could be a hell of a lot less problems in the country. And possibly a lot less reason to be so religious?! Rotten food is left out for Buddha all over the place and the sewerage and drains running under your feet only add further to the stink. I did quite a bit of shopping, saw the reclining buddha, quite a few reclining beggars and a heap of sassy siamese sisters hoping to get me into a reclining position! The markets are pretty cool fun and I ended most of my evenings by being turned into a pretzel from a Thai masseur. It was great!

Changmai up near the Golden triangle was a refreshing change and so were the friendly northern people. Went bamboo rafting, elephant trekking and general muckraking.

ลาก่อน (laa gòn)