Bula Vinaka

Yasawa Travel Blog

In this realm of dreams that I have so suddenly found myself, I find myself at a lack of words to describe the emotions and excitement I am feeling.
          You never really realize how absolutely large the Pacific is until you have to fly over it. I flew out of Vancouver on the 29th of October and arrived in Nadi, Fiji on the 31st at 5:40 am.  Within 3 hours, I was on a bus to the port of Denarau.  Nadi in itself, is rather dirty, garbage strewn about and the schools look like our abandoned buildings back home. The houses are small and look like they are thrown together rather than built in any manner or form. Considering I do not have my camera (which makes me want to cry) I decided to skip over the culturally rich mainland and head directly towards the Yasawa chain of islands.
           Leaving from Denarau port it was a 3.5 hour trip in Fiji time (which means it was actually 5 hours) to the northern part of the island chain and my first stay at an island called Tavewa. The Yasawa islands are geared more towards the backpacker and in all reality lack many luxeries.  I spent my first 4 days becoming an Open Water PADI qualified Scuba Diver.  The sights are spell-bounding, the sounds utterly alien and the bond I feel with the ocean is growing ever stronger.  I have never believed that such colours existed as I saw on those reefs, and it is so much more exciting in real life, so much more spetacular, so much more lovely. I passed everything with flying colours and I seem to be a natural under the waves.  I think I may have to invest in a wetsuit further down the road and I strongly recommend it to everyone (except Dad).
         I have found myself amongst a family of travellers, from every corner of the world.  There is an amazing amount of Europeans here, especially London er's and Germans.  Very few Americans and Canadians right now which is nice.  Everyone speaks English and everyone is friendly.  My journal is more than half done already.
         The locals are the most friendly people I have ever met in my life. The children are amazingly playful and curtious. It is nice to see kids actually be kids, playing hours with a coconut and a box, rather than looking like teenagers in a magazine or hours infront of a game console.  I quickly fell in love with the white sanded beaches, the hot weather, the crystal blue waters to the rainbow of colours of fish and coral, oh and can't forget the little gecko's. All over the place, and they chirp at night and you can't catch the little buggers.  And if you want to get a hermit crab to come out of its shell, just breath on it gently. Some of the other divers saw sharks and sea snakes, however I was not so lucky.  I went snorkelling in the Blue Lagoon and went to an amazing cave system that you had to swim under water in parts and needed flash lights for. I can go on endlessly about my experiences in Fiji, however I wouldn't want to have to retype my journal out.
SheLuvz2Fly says:
Very well written.....sort of paints a picture for you! I absolutely loved the Yasawa Islands....I visited the isle of Nacula! I will be writting more as well as adding more photos! Cheers.
Posted on: Jul 13, 2007