Koenniginnetag

Amsterdam Travel Blog

Heinekin Brewery
Under the good advice of some Dutch friends I decided to make the journey to The Netherlands for Queen's Day. It's not actually Queen Beatrix's birthday but the good lady was nice enough to continue to adopt her mum's date to avoid having to move it to the middle of winter. Top points there Trixy!

So I got into Amsterdam on Friday night and was already overbubbling with joy. Flying into Schipol is one of the more pleasant things to do in a plane. It's such a beautiful, flat, colourful, organised country. And the canals are truly a marvel.

The Netherlands is really just one of those quiet little achievers that sits in the corner doing everything right, getting top marks on all her assignments, finishing them years before anyone else has even thought about it, and then making money on it from everyone else.
Austrian Dutchies!

So often patriotism is misguided, but not in this case - the Dutch are fiercely patriotic and rightly so.

I always like to visit a place that I can respect.

I had a delightful dinner in Amsterdam and its always good to get out of Vienna if not just to get fresh seafood and vegetables other than potato and corn.

I then got out and about the city visiting Rembrandt's plein and Dam square before a quick walk through the ever interesting Red Light district to my hostel.

It was then that I realised I'd totally forgotten why most people travel to Am'dam - and that's to smoke 'em. The whole place stunk and there was plenty of weird creatures crashed around the joint.

Saturday saw me up early thanks to some vomitting Scottish guy on mushrooms. I visited Rijks museum, Van Gogh museum and then had a nap on the Museum's plein lawn.
Both museums were well worth it and some of the stuff in the Rijks is truly spectacular and a true tribute to the great nation.

The Heinekin brewery was also very well presented. I was a little hesitant to go but glad I made the choice.
I'm not exactly into beer culture but it was a very entertaining tour.

Saturday night I watched the cricket World Cup in an aussie pub and immediately met a heap of friendly aussies. Plus we bloody won the thing!!

Sunday was a pleasant day at the beach and then off to The Hague for 'Koenniginnenacht': Queens Night.
It was definitely going off. It was probably a bit too crowded for my liking and very hard to get around. But the Dutch sure know how to party.

Then there was Queen's Day....

Don't really know where to start. I awoke to a fresh, crisp, bright new day and I started immediately in Dam square. There was a whole heap of carnival rides going off and then i walked south to Rembrandts plein. On the way I discovered that the entire city had turned orange. Everyone was dressed in some sort of orange appendage and there was some extremely interesting, novel and funny outfits. Every single street, road and alley was totally packed with people and everyone was in party mode. It was very cool.
Apparently there was about 2million people on the streets (1million of them being tourists).

At Rembrandt's plein there was a huge concert stage with a DJ and also a rock band on the roof of another pub. I kept walking to Jordaan (an very nice area of the city along some wide canals).
DJ Tiesto concert
It was here that I met up with one of the aussies from Saturday night and his mates. We spent the day together along the Jordaan which was very entertaining. Plenty of great food, great stalls, heaps of activity on the water and lots of booze.

The night ended up well, with me scamming front stage entrance to a huge DJ Tiesto (widely regarded as the world's best DJ) concert in Museum's plein. It was aweome and the music was totally pumping. Apparently there was over 200,000 people were there.

All in all I cannot recommend this day highly enough to people. The Dutch are an incredibly friendly, happy, easy going people and they really know how to have fun. The city is beautiful and I didnt see any sign of violence the whole day.

Full marks to The Dutch!

PS Did you know Australia was originally called 'New Holland'? Aparently most Dutch didnt even know this.....
lazybum says:
Its nice to hear some opinions from outsiders about holland !! about koniginnendag.. ;) if you'd ever plan to come again, come in February then we celebrate Carnaval one week long! ( only in Brabant and Limburg) people dress up as like anything and there are parades were you can catch lots of candy and other stuff ;) The best place to be should be Maastricht!
So if you can find an outfit somewhere , come and join :D
Posted on: May 14, 2008
AndiPerullo says:
Your writing is really terrific! I can't wait to read more... :)

Did you wear anything orange???
Posted on: May 09, 2007
DJ Tiesto concert
Chocolate shop - has nothing to do…
Chocolate shop - has nothing to d…
120 km (75 miles) traveled