Travelling to the white water

Kathmandu Travel Blog

On our way to rafting
At 6.30am I was outside the offices of of my rafting company with a Czech couple and a nice guy from Hong Kong waiting for the inevitable trip-start snags to be ironed out. Next time, I'm NOT turning up on time for these trips 'cause no bugger else does!! A white-water virgin, my first would be the Bhote Khosi, which in rafting terms I'd been told is not completely dull, and it wasn't.

The trip started with 3 hours in a beat-up bus. Having flown over most of Eastern Nepal and walked through the rest of it, it was cool to just sit on a bus for a couple of hours and shoot the shit with John, a US student at a buddhist college out for a weekend trip with his buddies. Halfway there, the road was blocked for an hour or so by a strike / demonstration.
Bhote Kosi
With nothing else to do, we walked a kilometre or so up the traffic jam to watch the speeches from the Union organiser and try and cheer/boo at the right time. You could get wound up about being delayed, but these guys had only had the beginnings of meaningful democracy for a year or, so in their postion, I'd be unwrapping my shiny new Right to Strike and taking it out for a spin...

Underway eventually, I naively expected the pace to pick up as we got into more remote areas, but the traffic worsened and I finally clicked that we were on the Friendship Highway, packed with border-bound traffic. Each little town became increasingly Chinese in ethnic character, and all had loads of stalls and shops with all manner of cross-border trade being done. Really wished I was on my bike and able to explore at a slower pace rather than just spending a few hours on the road.

If you ever fancy a Bhote Khosi rafting trip, I definitely rate Ultimate Descents Nepal. The first afternoon was a training session on relatively tame water, with a good briefing and the reassurance of a couple of safety kayakers after which we were out of the water, back onto the bus and off to our overnight camp at the Borderlands resort.
Cool tents