Chukhung - Island Peak High Camp

Chukhung Travel Blog

Trekking above Chukkhung
Since the sleeping arrangements meant that I was awake when the lodge cook got up (i.e. pre-dawn), it was an early start for me. Chukkung sits at something like 4750m so it was absolutely freezing outside in the valley shade, but I stayed out and got some very bad pics as the sun transformed the mountains around me - you really haven't lived until you've seen the sun rise on Ama Dablam - trust me.

As the team would return to Chukkung the following day, most of our kit was left behind to help our Sherpa skeleton crew - we would be back in the tents tonight at high camp - no more comfy lodges, stoves and chat...

Now firmly back up to 5000m, our trek up to High Camp was predictably spectacular. Above Chukkung are a sequence of Drumlin like hills, then a flood plain below the rapidly growing Imja Tsho lake which has formed below the glacier since the 1950s. Eventually, like Sabai Tsho over in the Hinku Valley, the lake will burst its banks and cascade, tusnami like, down the Khumbu Valley, causing untold destruction, but for us it was just another awesome natural feature.

Just before lunch we passed through the official Island Peak Base Camp, full of tents and trekkers going up or coming down. From there we turned, leaving the valley and starting our climb up the peak's lower scree slopes. By mid-afternoon, we were at High Camp, in a jumble of rocks at 5400m. No water, no level ground - just smiling sherpas, noodle soup and, at least until the sun went down, a warm tent.
Mingma and Sumba deliver noodles