Breda City Girl

Breda Travel Blog

When I moved to Breda two years and two months ago, the only thing I knew was that it had an awesome shopping centre (according my mom and one of her aunts..) and that it was the city my new school was in. After some school-hopping in the two years before this, going to school wasn't something entirely new for me, but moving out of my parents house into a small 4 by 4 meters bedroom, with a shared bathroom/toilet/kitchen and paying rent all on top of that, was. And that was excluding the new school I was talking about. But now, after the two years and two months I have been living here, I catch myself saying 'home' whenever I talk about Breda and 'at my parents' when I talk about Venlo. And I did that happen?

I remember that I hated my first few weeks in Breda, since I just got back from Singapore and Malaysia that summer. But that soon changed when I saw my school and got to know the city. My school, the Saint Joost Art Academy, is not a regular school. Classes are more of a 'whenever you feel like it' than a 'whenever you have to', and the atmosphere is relaxed and calm (except with this one teacher I have but you get used to him). Breda as a city..well I have to give my mom some credit, the shopping centre is awesome! The only downpart is the size of your wallet and bankaccounts after a while. It gets smaller with almost every step you to all the shops there are also tons of cute restaurants with names such as Popecatepetl, La Iguana, The Colony, Parc, The SugarBox...and so on.

The city centre is one of history and culture. The Harbor dates out of the old war times and there is even a legend that an invasion started with a man in a wooden box that sailed the castle-moat and entered Breda between two walls! The pride of the centre is a the big church in the middle, of which the tower has been there over 500 years. It's right in the middle of the giant market which in summer is full of good humored people and lots of fun. The giant market is also the place to be when you're talking about Carnival. It's a big holiday in the southern parts of Holland around Febuary every year and it's all about dressing up as stupid as possible and having fun with the wrong music and lots of alcohol. For people born and raised in the southern of Holland it is the best holiday ever. For all you people out there, I dare you to check it out and enjoy!

Everybody who comes to visit Holland usually visits Amsterdam or Rotterdam or one of the beaches. I hope with this post I can shed a light on a different, also very cool city in Holland and show that there is more to Holland than the big cities I mentioned before. Because the beauty of Holland is that it is a small country. You can stay in Rotterdam and still visit Groningen in one day. The farest you'll have to go is maybe three, three and a half hours by train. Don't let the vibe of the big cities catch on too quickly, but see what is out there, for the rest of the travelers probably yet to see.

Koralifix says:
So nicely written - a true invitation!
Posted on: Oct 24, 2009
gimpel says:
Renie, Breda is erg gezellig.Ben er laatst voor het eerst geweest( tja voor het eerst,moet mij schamen),maar lekker gegeten in de walkabout aussie pub en genoten van wat het centrum te bieden heeft.Ga zeker vaker terug komen.
Posted on: Sep 09, 2009