HIKING TO VIEW OF THE NORTH RIM

Grand Canyon Travel Blog

WHOO HOO!!!!
PERFECT DAY FOR A HIKE!!!!

Woke up by the sound of Amy and James making breakfast, It was about 9am. I slept like a log even though I forgot my pillow. I used my towel instead. RJ cooked breakfast; he made scrambled eggs and hot dog stuffed with cheese HMMMMMMMM YUMMY!!! I also ate cereal.  I need plenty of energy of the 2.2 inclined hike to see the view of the north rim.  While we waited to the other hikers, they said they were going to stop by at our campsite. We played SPEED until we all decided to walk the other campsite to figure what is keeping them.

We walked to the group site where the other hikers are. There were about 8 of them. We were waiting around for about an hour. We all received our official THE LOST HIKERS bandanas.
ME AND RJ @ THE POINT IMPERIAL
We watched and helped the others move to MJ’s campsite. We finally left at 12pm to drive to the hike, point imperial trail to saddle mountain.

POINT IMPERIAL TRAIL:

* Distance: 4.4 miles round-trip

* Duration: 2 hours

* Elevation change: Negligible

* Effort: Easy

* Trailhead: North end of the parking area for the Point Imperial overlook

This trail leads through areas burned by the 2000 Outlet Fire to Saddle Mountain, just across the park boundary. The trail starts out paved but soon turns to dirt. Pine and fir yield to the area scorched by fire, and soon the trail is surrounded by ghostly white aspen snags and blackened pine stumps.

Once-hidden views of Saddle Mountain, Marble Canyon, and�"on the horizon�"Navajo Mountain, are visible through the burned areas.
MY FAVE PIC OF RJ
The surrounding landscape is a good example of how the natural environment recovers from fire. Wildflowers and young aspens mark the first stage in a forest’s rebirth. At 2.2 miles, you’ll reach the gate that marks the park’s northern boundary.

You can turn around here or continue into Kaibab Forest for more views. Pass the gate and walk to the dirt road (Forest Road 610), continuing a short distance until you come to the signed trail for Saddle Mountain. A spur to the right heads up a rocky outcrop with a view across Marble Platform to the Vermilion Cliffs, worth the extra few minutes of hiking.

Experienced canyon hikers use the Saddle Mountain Trail to access the precipitous Nankoweap route to the Colorado River, a challenging four- to five-day trip.

LOVED THE HIKING TRAIL

The trail is filled with burnt trees from either lighting or controlled fires.
VIEW FROM SADDLE MOUNTAIN
There was also thorny bushed on the trail path. I would always wear long thick pants while hiking even when it’s warm. There were plenty of wild flowers as well. We saw Kaibab squirrels.  The weather was sunny with a cool breeze. I worn my Galapagos hat and hoodie to keep me warm and not have sun burn. I also put sun block on my face just in case.

We would stop and take photos of beautiful views. There were also plenty of petrified trees. it was beautiful  brunch of trees. one of the hikers, MJ is into playing GEOCACHING, it is a site where you use your GPS to go treasure hunting all over the world.  I would love to join on the fun. I just have to purchase a GPS with a topographic map. I think i will get into that from now on. Especially, i will going to NZ soon. I hope there is some GEOCACHING at red rock canyon or lake mead to start.
ME @ VIEW FROM SADDLE MOUNTAIN
But, first i need to purchase a GPS for mountains and terrain.

At the end of the trail it was spectacular. Half of us hiked the last .2 mile up Saddle Mountain. I wanted to sit on the edge of the cliff. We all hung out and had some snacks to build up energy to hike the last 2hrs back to the car. There was an inch worm on my shoulder as well. I guess it jumped on me when I was hiking through the brush of vegetation. I had tons of photos on this day. I wish I hiked this during dawn or at dusk. I love the colors of the mountains and of the canyon.

I was looking forward to the hike back. we were all hungry. I was dreaming about the chicken I want to BBQ. My legs were like jello. I know I will sleep well tonight. I started the fire….of course. We all shared our meals. Amy had chicken kababs, Song made his famous spaghetti sauce, i BBQing the chicken legs on the fire, and toasted bread.
SQUIRREL

Shortly thereafter, we all walked the Kristi’s campsite to hang out to have smores YUM YUM YUM!!!!  Rosie gave us all glow sticks. WOW I felt like I was at a RAVE. I wore orange and yellow glow sticks around my neck. There were not enough chairs so us 6 went to the picnic table to play TEXAS HOLD’EM. Their campsite smelled good. They were BBQing corn and chicken. If I was not full I would have some.

That evening, when you are invited to "THE LOST HIKERS" events 3 TIMES, you are given a NICKNAME. There was 16 of us. We all gathered around the fire to inducted Amanda, MJ's mom and me into the group. I was given TRIPOD, because i always carry a mini tripod for my camera. We love taking photos of groups shots. HAHAHAHA everytime i think about it, i always think of "mini me" from Austin Powers. When he was guarding Austin Powers' dad and "mini me" whipped out his penis to him and called him a TRIPOD.
www.geocaching.com "goodies"
...HAHAHAHAHA.  I think fire starter or pyro would be more appropriate. We all described why we called....puddles, tumbles, smacky, bee dancer, gabby, splinter, band aid boy, skippy, spider monkey, lunesta, wood, aunt jamima HAHAHAHAHAHA. Can you gues one is RJ's?!?!?!?!

Here is the funny story…..while we were playing texas hold’em. We offered anybody to play with us. MJ was buttering his corn asked what are playing. We all said texas hold’em. WHOA why do you guy have 3 cards, it’s supposed to be 2. We all looked at each other puzzled. That how we played with Kristi yesterday. OMG we all laughing at each other. WE ALL LIVE IN VEGAS AND WE DON’T KNOW TO SET IT UP!!!!! HAHAHHAHAHA. That goes to show we don’t gamble and WE LIVE IN VEGAS ….HAHAHHAHA.

Amy was the top winner that night. When we switched to only 2 cards, she was losing her money.
GEO CASH!!!!
  HAHAHHAHA. RJ was the winner today. We played for hours or until it was 12am. We planning to meet up in the morning at the grand canyon lodge to take a group photo and do a mild hike.

I don’t normally shower while am camping, it defeats the purpose of going camping.  The I took advantage of the $1.50 of 7min. of “super pressured” shower, my hair was thick and the shampoo was all removed.  That night I could not sleep. I was tossing and turning because I had a raging headache. I finally pasted out when I placed my towel/pillow inside my sleeping bag. That is when I passed out. somebody near my tent was sleeping so soundly that thought Sal (sincitytraveler) was here HAHAHHAHAHA.

mellemel8 says:
thanks eric, i would like to plan a "rocky mountain" states camping trip one day. CO, WY, UT & MT
Just bring plenty of warm clothes :)
Eric says:
Great blog!!! Congrats on the feature. You just reminded me that I haven't seen the Grand Canyon and years. I'm going to have to make a road trip back to see it soon.
mellemel8 says:
OMG RJ i was not talking about you HAHAHAHA.
www.geocaching.com goodies
www.geocaching.com "goodies"
GOOD MORNING CAMPERS!!!
GOOD MORNING CAMPERS!!!
ME, JAMES, SONG AND RJ
ME, JAMES, SONG AND RJ
PART OF THE THE LOST HIKERS
PART OF THE "THE LOST HIKERS"
....AND ME :)
....AND ME :)
WAITING FOR THE OTHERS
WAITING FOR THE OTHERS
DRAGGING TENT DOWN THE HILL
DRAGGING TENT DOWN THE HILL
LOVE THIS FOLDING CHAIR WITH FOOT …
LOVE THIS FOLDING CHAIR WITH FOOT…
RJ AND ME
HERE WE GO.....
REST
REST
THE COMPLETE THE LOST HIKERS
THE COMPLETE "THE LOST HIKERS"
@ THE POINT IMPERIAL TRAIL
RJS BLACK FEET
RJ'S BLACK FEET
CHICKEN AND SPAGHETTI
CHICKEN AND SPAGHETTI
6 COOLERS FOR 7 PEOPLE?!?!!?
6 COOLERS FOR 7 PEOPLE?!?!!?
TOASTING BREAD
PSYCHEDELIC
PSYCHEDELIC
NO YOU ARE NOT ON E!!! LOL
NO YOU ARE NOT ON E!!! LOL
TEXAS HOLDEM WINNER (SATURDAY)
TEXAS HOLD'EM WINNER (SATURDAY)
MONEY!!!!