Jungle Fever

Kota Kinabalu Travel Blog

Sunrise on the peak.
I'd been wanting to have a genuine jungle holiday and so decided to head to Malaysia via a quick stop in Singapore.

In Malaysia I set up camp in Kota Kinabalu in the state of Sabah on the island of Borneo.

From here I climbed Mount Kinabalu - the highest mountain in SE Asia at 4095m. It was an awesome climb and definitely worth doing. It wasnt terribly difficult and saw saw all breeds, types and ages of people trying it out. We were on the peak for dawn and although cold, it was a truly beautiful experience. Days later you can spot anyone else who's done the climb. They are the people hobbling around like old men, and walking down stairs backwards.

I also managed to see the the world's largest flower - the incredibly stinky Rafflesia.
On the peak of Mount Kinabalu for dawn!

i visited a jungle park where you can sit in hot springs, climb a cable tree top walk and walk around the jungle.

Also spent a day out on a delightful tropical island of Manukan and even managed to 'find Nemo' in the coral reefs.
It was a beautiful reef but sadly the government doesnt understand the concept of conservation and people are literally destroying the reef by walking on it, littering in it, and we even see copious amounts of coral and clams being removed as souvenirs.

I also headed over to the east coast of the island where I managed to visit Turtle island and witness a 1m Green turtle give birth to over 100 eggs and we also released some hatchlings into the ocean.

I also visited Sandakan where I went to an Orangutan sanctuary and stayed in a Jungle Resort.
On top of Mount Kinabalu
Hiked through Sepilok Jungle at night getting covered in leeches, millipedes, fire ants and up to my knees in mud. I also went to a mangrove full of the humorous Proboscis monkeys where we had a giant male monkey attach us.

Overall - I  had plenty of great cheap massages, heaps of cool food and relished in warmness of the friendly people of the country.

Malaysia is a truly beautiful country, however the people dont have a proper grasp of tourism. They dont quite understand westerners needs and are not always adapt at understanding or assisting.

Additionally, the place is filthy and I was very disappointed to see polution on the coral reefs and pretty much everywhere we went.

I would expect more from the government before I go spending my tourist dollars there again.

Sunrise on the peak.
On the peak of Mount Kinabalu for …
On the peak of Mount Kinabalu for…
Descending from the peak
Descending from the peak
Venus Fly Traps
Venus Fly Traps
On the way up Mount Kinabalu
On the way up Mount Kinabalu
Manukan Island, off Kota Kinabalu
Manukan Island, off Kota Kinabalu
Treetop walking through Kinabalu J…
Treetop walking through Kinabalu …
The mighty Rafflesia - worlds lar…
The mighty Rafflesia - world's la…
Kota Kinabalu General Tips & Advice review
A lot of variety in availability and costs. We found huge variations in costs and walking from one operator to the other would get such different stor… read entire review
Kota Kinabalu General Tips & Advice review
Flights: Malaysian airlines are terrible. give yourself plenty of time before and after and dont book tours that line updirectly with flights. expect… read entire review
Kota Kinabalu Sights & Attractions review
-Dont forget a torchlight - i advise a head mounted one so you have both hands free. you can get these in electrical stores in KK for ~$5-10 -warm gl… read entire review