AsiaChinaBeijing

Sleep at last

Beijing Travel Blog

for the flight from tokyo to Beijing I had a seat next to them but it didn't really matter because I fell asleep after about half an hour and Tom and Ilya were asleep soon after takeoff. once we landed in beijing and went though the quarintine and customs (which were very fast) Natasha rushed over to the first bunch of guys that were offering a taxi. They bargined on the price for quite a while and ended up at an outrageously high price of 250 yaun (about 30 dollars), we went out into the garage and the guys backed out a tiny little car that didn't sound like it was running very well. Most of our baggage was jammed into the trunk and the remaining bag ended up on my lap (go figure). Then the only one who spoke any english shouted "pay now", Natasha had converted some money in the airport but didn't have exact change, the man said "20 cheaper! 20 cheaper!" and grabbed what Natasha was holding increasing the price from 250 to 260 yaun. He yelled something at the driver and we left. We drove for about 15 minutes and then as we were making a turn the taxi died and the driver pulled over to the side of the road, he mumbled something that sounded like "no worry" and popped the hood and messed around inside of it for a couple minutes, then he tried to start the car unsucessfully. He then ran out into the middle of the street and flagged down a pair of government taxis and not only helped us to load our stuff into them but paid for them! We took off and it turned out that we were only a couple of blocks from the motel. Natasha checked us in and had them take our things to our room. Once we got there the porter left to get a bed for me and Tom and Natasha left to find out about train tickets. They came back and we went to bed at last.
Beijing