EuropeItalyRome

Ancient Rome

Rome Travel Blog

St. Peters Square, 2 minutes from our hotel
When we woke up the second day, some of us had a little headache. We did not want to wast our days so we immediately went to breakfast, and made plans for today. The breakfast was not good, there was little choice and the things which you could choose tasted like dry wood. So as quickly as possible we ran off and took some bread across the street. Again we had no plans so we made some. We decided to go see ancient rome this day. We walked to the metro and went to the Collosseum and Forum Romanum.

I have been to Rome two times before, but those ancient buildings still impress me. We got out of the metrostation and the Colosseum apeared right in front of us, Amazing! It is so huge, I can't imagine how they could build those fantastic structures 2000 years ago.
Arch
But they did, and we were looking at them right this moment. We wanted get inside in the Colosseum, but there was a big queue outside. Taking a tour was the solution to avoid row. For 20 euros we got a guided tour inside the Colosseum as well as round the Palatine Hill. I find the ouside of the Colosseum much more imposant than the inside. If you have the opportunity to go inside I would, but you won't miss a lot when you won't. The Palatine hill is a really nice place to chill. There are lots of ruins to see and lots of parks and lawns to sit and enjoy the weather (which is always nice in the summer in Italy). At the Palatine we spent some hours relaxing and throwing water at each other (good old "watergevecht"), water which came from one of the many "nasone" (noses), little drinking fountains which you can find all over the city.
Colosseum

But after all this chilling we were tired. We went back to the our hotel, to do a powernap. The powernap turned out to be little more then a short nap because after an hour or 2 we woke up. Outside it was dark already so we swiftly went out to eat. Because I wrote this piece of text much later, I forgot were we ate, but it doesn't matter. I still know it was good because it was always good (except one time, but I will tell more about that later).  After this we went to walk allong the tiber and straight to Piazza Navona to go to a club we heard about the day before. This night was nothing special, just a regular night out. Some drinking, dancing, meeting some nice people, and more. But it was very fun. When the club closed and we looked at our watches and saw it was late (read: early) we went back to the hotel. We hoped that the door was open, but it wasn't so we had to ring the bell and wake the receptionist. This time he looked less annoyed maybe because he was expecting us. We got to the room and after a second or 16 I slept. And I slept well, very well.
St. Peters Square, 2 minutes from …
St. Peters Square, 2 minutes from…
Colosseum interior