Views on Tianjin

Tianjin Travel Blog

I lived in Tianjin for about 2 months and really liked this city as a place to call home.  Not big on tourist attractions, it offered more of a windown into Chinese city life than say, Beijing or Shanghai.  The city was very clean, architecturally beautiful, and spacious; even for a Chinese city!  It was also a great city for biking, being flat and having wide designated biking lanes.  There was also hardly any English spoken, which gave us foreigners a chance to practice some Chinese in day to day activities

Some of the things available, however, to tourists are the famous Ancient Culture Street, located in the heart of the city.  Here you can buy all kinds of Chinese goods and souvineirs at a reasonable price.

There also are Olympic Stadiums (used in 2008, of course), a high TV tower (which seem to exist in every Chinese city), various parks, and of course wide shopping squares.

There is also delicous food to be had here, such as a street pancake made with egg, tofu, various herbs and other seasonings; dumplings and steamed buns, and basically all other food imaginable from different regions of China.  I luckily made friends with a local who did nothing short of introducing me to all kinds of wonderful Chinese food in this city.

Upon leaving Tianjin, I can say that I do miss it.  It was relaxing, pleasant, and offered just enough to keep me busy and not longing for home.  I'm sure it helped that I worked 6 days a week, but I digress.

photo by: vivien_huang