Getting Ready to Go T-1 Month

Spokane Travel Blog

Entry #1: Pre-departure

All our chips are in. I've sold my car, tv, apartment and most worldly possessions, quit my job with the Hillstone Restaurant Group (which I slowly and silently planned over the last 8 months), and have gotten as lean and efficient as possible. Peter has recently graduated from University of Puget Sound, and is finishing up his job in McCall, Idaho as an intern reporter at the Star News, reporting on such topics as "Forays for Funghi" and local bingo nights. The gears are turning, and we're finally making the move to Italy.

Pete and I have our 95 liter backpacks, our business plan, and the excitement, enthusiasm and resolve to call Italy our home for the next year (and after that, who knows? Barcelona, Paris, Rio...we'll see where the business takes us!).  We're furiously learning and re-learning Italian. Already leagues ahead of me in his practical knowledge of the language, Pete has been leaving voice mails on my cell phone in Italian. I am now racing to catch up with the "Italian Now" text books and Rosetta Stone.

With only 1 month left, we're thinking about the technical aspects of our move, and have started to think about some motorcycle courses here in Spokane so that we're prepared when we get there (We gotta have some wheels, right?). Other than that, Nick, my good friend from business school and principal business partner at SnoworSand, and I have been conferencing everyday, working on business strategy and setting up meetings for his return to Italy and mine and Pete's entrance into the Sienese market.

We're enjoying our last few weeks in Spokane with the 'whole fam damily' under one roof. Margaret has been thoroughly annoyed with my incessant jokes and testing of her gullability (some things never change), and mom and dad are enjoying their first taste of retirement. They are starting to prepare for an adventure of their own across the North American continent by sports car.

This move will be an incredible one, and please stay tuned to mine and Pete's blog entries. We will be posting entries every week or so, and switch off between the two of us (you will surely see Pete's expert mastery of the English language relative to mine), and hopefully the perspective will be different. We will also post (relevant) pictures and videos. Thanks for reading, and next time your hear from us we'll be in Italia!