Tang Dynasty Dinner Theater

Xi'an Travel Blog

Before I go on to talk about Beijing, I need to mention the Tang Dynasty Dinner Theatre. I went there with the other volunteers on my last night in Xi'an. This is a broadway-style show in Xi'an. It is definitely meant for the Westerners. The narration was almost entirely in English. The waitstaff wore elaborate costumes and headdresses with ropes of fake hair. We witnessed a birthday celebration and an anniversary celebration. Both tables got cakes, and the waitresses (all very thin and tall--equal opportunity employment apparently is not a concern in China) brought a huge scythe-like plastic weapon with a 6 foot staff to each table and the guests used it to cut the cake. Just like they did in the olden days. Then the show started. It was about an hour long and involved mostly dancing and playing musical instruments in bright costumes with dry ice and strobe lights to add to the effect. I think you get the picture. It also cost a very Western price--nearly $40! It is a fun event to do as a group, if you are just looking for a fun night out. But if you ever go to Xi'an with the goal of learning about the ancient history of China, you'll want to reconsider plans to go here. I've posted pictures of the show. It is too bad I didn't get any of the audience, because I truly think that every Western person in the entire city was there. It was odd, because prior to that I had been surprised by how few of us I saw in the city. I guess most of them don't venture on to the city buses.
jenmarie77 says:
I couldn't post my true thoughts on this in my original blog, because the volunteer organization staff in Xi'an are the ones who suggested it. But honestly, don't go to this place. There is nothing authentic about it. It was a waste of money. I felt like I was back in Chicago.
Posted on: Aug 16, 2009