A "casual" day in Madrid

Madrid Travel Blog

Yay Cafe!
After the excitement of my first day in Madrid it was nice to start the day off perfectly with a cup of coffee at a local cafe near my friends place. For me that's one of the few ways I want to start my day while traveling in Europe. After "breakfast",  which was closer to noon, we just started walking from Chamberí towards the center of the city. Stopping along the way to be touristy and take random pictures and shop a bit. I found out that I love shopping at Zara and they have amazing sales, not to mention my favorite pair of shoes I bought on this trip. That is my one girrlie admission, I LOVE shoes :-p   After a bit we met up with Paulina and had some lunch.
I tried Salmorejo for the first time which was really good and refreshing on the hot day. Also had a dish with veal that was cooked down in a sweet sauce. To die for :-)
Later that night Carla and I went to dinner at her old teacher's apartment. Had some real home cooked Spanish food. These giant croquettas filled with potatoes that just melted in your mouth. Some grilled green peppers sprinkled with salt, but watch out some of those are spicy....All I could say was yum and to keep it coming. And of course paired with some wonderful wine. God how I miss Spain!
Later that night it was time to head out, lol at the "early" hour of 11pm. We went to this small intimate music performance. It was awesome, just un hombre y su guitarra. After the show we met up with Shanita who was a friend of Talia which we'd never met.
Plaza de Colón
We walked up to Chueca and found this little bar to get a drink. Of course it was STILL early :-P so not many people were there. And I guess I was kind of oblivious becuase it took me quite a while to notice this was a gay bar, a lesbian bar to be more clear. Lol, I guess I didn't notice all the female bartenders and the rainbows on the walls. Haha, it was all good though cause the music was great. But that was only our first stop. We then headed out of that area to another location I'm not quite sure about but found this little bar, up a narrow alleyway. Lol you know how that story always goes. But we walk in, take a seat at the bar and the bartender is looking like this has not quite been his day. Until this one song comes on and he starts dancing. But a minute later he's back to being stoic.
No clue what was going on there. So the music has been playing for a while and the one strange thing I notice is that all they seem to be playing at first is American 70s funk. Now don't get me wrong I like a bit of Funk every now and then but I have to admit I was surprised by how much everyone loved it. We were definitely having a good time dancing and drinking our vodka con limon's. Although it was pretty funny when these boys kind of latched on to us. We played along for a while but when it was time to go they sooo didn't want to let us leave. And I have to say Spanish guys are pretty persistent. Lol, one wanted to know where we lived and that piece of info was sooo not passing our lips :-P
All in all it was a good 2nd day. Can't wait to write about the rest!
Madrid