Lisboa and Belem

Lisbon Travel Blog

LISBON!!!!!!!
Let me say that
Lisbon is where travbuddy first came into play for me. I have to admit I wasn't quite sure about who I'd meet in person after just talking to them online. But Lisbon is where I met an amazing travel buddy, Renie! [ ;-) love you girl] And Sam, I didn't forget you either.
So I arrived in
Lisbon on Monday, once again not quite sure on how to get to my hostel. But luckily for me that was half the fun. As I found my bus and wound my way through the city, down a narrow street I finally found my hostel (Living Lounge Hostel). A really cute place. Styled more like a boutique hotel than a hostel in my mind. Clean & comfortable that's all I ask most days when traveling. Anyways, as soon as I put my pack away it was off to the streets to see what I could see. Now not understanding an ounce of Portuguese I thought it would be harder to get around.

But it was relatively easy. I tried a bit of my school girl Spanish and a smatter of English at some places and was able to get by pretty well. So I walked down towards the water and beyond and found myself getting a little lost in the streets of Lisboa. A few hours later it was time to head back to meet up with my new friends. We met up near a viewpoint close to Elevador Santa Maria, found a spot on the grass and chatted like old friends. It’s amazing the connection you get with people along your travels and I was lucky to experience that multiple time during this trip.

After a relaxing afternoon we took the Elevador down, to where I had no idea, and headed to dinner. Now there I had an interesting experience. I ordered prawns, not really thinking about it to well ahead of time. So out comes this plate/bowl of prawns, steeped in a delicious sauce. But little did I know I was about to get messy. There is no easy way to take the heads off a prawn unless you just get right in there. Armed with my napkin and a finger bowl I went to work. As Renie and Sam chuckled at my predicament I enjoyed the hands-on meal :-P

A bit later on in the evening Renie and I headed out to Barrio Alto. This great area of Lisbon with narrow streets barely big enough to get one car through that was lined with great little bars that had people overflowing out into the streets. Completely unpretentious and ready to pull you in for a good time. It was here I was introduced to Morangoska, a yummy fruity drink which was made with black vodka. Lol now if only I could find that here back in LA. Oh well.

The next day I spent making my way to Belem for their famous custard tart at the renowned Pasteis de Nata. The 170 year old recipe is supposed to be known to only 3 chefs at a time. Trust me it’s worth the trip. I only wish they shipped them out :-P

There so much more but I’ll have to catch up the next time

Sam and Renie