Petra Travel Blog

View from Wadi Muji

The  next morning we shared a cab with 2 other French travelers and headed to Petra.  Along the way we stopped at a couple places.  First up was Wadi Mujib.  This is meant to be the Grand Canyon of Jordan.  It was huge and very impressive, but I was more captivated by the Jordanian boy riding his donkey and whacking his goats.  The canyon reminded me a lot of Eastern Washington actually.  Anyone who has made a drive up to the Gorge Ampiteatre would understand.  Huge desert hills, except much bigger, more impressive, and in Jordan.

Our next stop was a castle in Karak.  I didn't expect much from this place, and I was blown away.

Karak Castle
  The castle was amazing, and still intact for the most part.  The walls, tunnels, and rooms were all in great condition.  You can walk on, in, and around anywhere you'd like.  I definitely recommend this as a stop on your way to Petra if you have time.  Back in the day one of the vicious rulers of the castle used to throw prisoners over the walls to their death.  But to make it even better, he'd put a wooden box around their heads to keep them from passing out, what a guy!  You can even go stand in the place where he tossed them off if you'd like.

That afternoon we made it into Petra and checked in to our place.  It's called the Petra Gate Hotel and hostel.  To be honest, the place looks a bid shady.  The carpets aren't what some people call "new" or "clean" and the pillows felt like large flat rocks.  But never in my travels have I met a nicer staff, and been treated so well.  The place ended up being great.  I highly recommend this place to anyone, and it's cheap, safe, and comfortable.  That afternoon we hit up Little Petra.  The entrance to Little Petra is free and there weren't many people there.  But there was some Bedouin party, complete with a dancefloor and all.  That part was kind of odd.  But we headed home early to rest for our long day trip to normal Petra.

Bedouin tent