Santorini " Breathtaking views wherever you look"

Santorini Travel Blog

As we were approaching the harbour of Santorini, we saw the breath taking formation of the cliff and the volcanic sand that carries many colours and layers on top of each other, we saw also the main town, Thira, lies on the top of the cliff.

Ships are not allowed to throw an anchor near Santorini, only one place is permitted to do so, if it is taken by a ship, then other ships must keep on circling around until all passengers get on board. Passengers can disembark only using small (soft) boats transfer them to the harbour of Santorini, from there, you can go up the cliff around 1916 ft above sea level, by either, walking some of 587 stone steps, or riding a donkey, or cable car, we picked the latter  for going up the cliff.

As we reached their, and after a long queuing under the sun for the cable car, I was soaking in my sweat, I bought a T shirt to replace the so wet shirt I was wearing, then had a little walk around on the top, eventually  we picked a nice restaurant for a snack and  drinks. I must admit we were not so lucky, as the humidity level was very high, resulted to some photos were not so clear as was expected and hopped.

On our way back, we found a very long queue for cable cars, so we decided to take the walking route, it is a zigzag road, for both humans and donkeys, well, the smell was bad, however better than waiting in a queue for another 30 minutes, meanwhile we had a chance to take some photos as we walked down.

In the harbour, we got into the soft boat to get transfered to our ship. As we reached late, we skipped the dinner for that night, fortunately we had a good snack in Santorini.

Later a talent show started followed by the main show for the night, called “New York to Paris”, it was one of the best shows performed on the ship

missandrea81 says:
I'll keep my fingers crossed then. You're pictures are nice too though! :)
Posted on: Aug 20, 2009
terry7878 says:
I think in October the level of Humidity will be much less than August, and you might end up with better photos of the sunset and other parts with a clear sky,, I hope you enjoy it
Posted on: Aug 18, 2009
missandrea81 says:
Another stop on my cruise in October. I hope the weather will be okay and not too windy. Fingers crossed, can't wait!
Posted on: Aug 18, 2009