Lollapalooza 2009

Chicago Travel Blog

Let me start off by saying that Lollapalooza already had two strikes against it before I even set foot in Grant Park.  This was my third festival in three years, and the first one that wasn't camping.  Strike 1.  In addition to that, everything...and I mean EVERYTHING at Lolla shuts down at 10 pm.  Strike 2.

The reason I prefer camping festivals is because you develop this sense of community with all the other people.  There's this sense of, "We're all the same.  We're all in this together." that you don't really get at a festival where everybody goes home to their real lives after they've seen their last act of the day.  You meet people, you make friends, you find out where everyone is camping, you plan your days together.  Sure, you can do most of this stuff at a go home festival, but it just isn't the same.

And then, the 10 pm thing is just a fucking rip-off.  You've already paid $200 for a 3-day pass to Lolla, then they're hustling aftershow tickets at $25-$50 a head to those of us that like to keep the party going into the wee hours of the morning.  Pretty weak, man.

All that said, I had an awesome time.