Semuc Champey

Semuc Champey Travel Blog

from high above.

From there, anotttthhher 9 hour day down to Semuc Champey, right in the middle of Guatemala, kind of. After taking a 1 hour ride down a rocky dirt road in the back of a pickup truck, I arrived at one of two hostels within walking distance of Semuc.

The next morning I went for a cave swim! We were given candles and off we went. Ha! Like it's possible to swim while keeping a candle from going out. Mine went out a few times. It was a really good time, though. We came out of the cave, grabbed an inner tube, and floated for down the river for the next 20 minutes or so back to the hotel.

Then, I went into the park of Semuc Champey. I'll put up some pics but they won't really do it justice. Picture 7 pools of clear, pristine, turquoise water suspended over a raging river with lush, green jungle all around. I spent some time jumping around in the pools before taking a strenuous hike up to the lookout to get a glimpse of it from above. That's the spot. What an incredible place.

I caught the early bus to Coban and then today, after another 8 hours in the van I have arrived back in Antigua. I just dropped off my clothes at the laundry mat, bought a giant steaming loaf of banana bread, and am now catching up on all the world news that I've missed. like... Anna Nicole died? what?! Things are good. I might head down to Nicaragua pretty soon, but everything is still pretty high up in the air. Until next time.

the hotel