Day 8 of East Coast Adventure

Saint John's Travel Blog

Day 8 of East Coast Adventure

It is 430am and I get up this morning as I have a early flight to get to NFLD in which I have to fly out of Halifax. I check out of the hotel, and I had to wait while the front desk guy did the audit. I then drive in the pouring rain back to Nova Scotia. At the Confederation Bridge. I had to pay my fee of 40 bucks to cross. I cross the bridge and back onto the main highway. The drive back to Halifax was good and went all smooth, no problems. Just before reaching the airport, I put gas in the tank to fill it up and then drop it off at the rental booth. I get to the airport and check in with Airline CanJet for my flight to St. John’s NFLD. At the airport I have a breakfast here of some over priced bacon and eggs. Good but what can you do when you are in an airport.

Finally board the Canjet Plane for the flight to get to St. John’s. It is a good flight getting to NFLD and seeing it for the first time it seemed very rocky. Landing at the airport was smooth and then getting off the plane and my luggage. I go and get my rental car again, this time I get a 2004 Chevy Cavalier, something like the car I own at this time. I get into car and make my way into the city to my hotel I stay at the Best Western hotel. Checking in at the hotel was good and I have lots of parking here.

Cabot Tower on Signal Hill
From here I make my way driving to downtown to the old section of the city. I drive up the hill to Signal Hill. Here is information about Signal Hill.
The final battle of the Seven Years' War in North America was fought in 1762 at the Battle of Signal Hill, in which the French surrendered St. John's to the British under the command of Lt. Colonel William Amherst. Lt. Colonel Amherst renamed what was then known as "The Lookout" as "Signal Hill," because of the signalling that took place upon its summit from its flagmast. Flag communication between land and sea would take place there from the 1600s until 1960.

During Signal Hill's first construction period in the late 1700s, Signal Hill was designated as the citadel for St. John's. Other Canadian citadels include Citadel Hill in Halifax and Citadels in Quebec City.

St Johns Harbour - Coast Guard

During the 1800s, Signal Hill was manned specifically during the Napoleonic Wars and the American Civil War. A second construction period in Signal Hill's history saw the construction of the Queen's Battery Barracks which, today, has been completely restored to the period of 1862.

Construction on Cabot Tower began in 1897 to commemorate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee in 1897 and the 400th anniversary of John Cabot's landfall in 1497. The building was declared officially open in 1900. The practical uses of the building were flag mast signalling, and a Marconi wireless station which has since been moved to St.

John's International Airport

On December 12, 1901, the first transatlantic wireless transmission was received here by Guglielmo Marconi in an abandoned fever and Diphtheria hospital, which has since been destroyed by fire.[1] The transmission originated from his Poldhu Wireless Station, Cornwall.

The United States maintained anti-aircraft guns on the hill during World War II.

view of St. John's

Quite a amazing view you get of the city and the surrounding area.

From here I make my way down to the main city and go walk around on the oldest street in Canada, Water St. I go and have supper at a pub nearby, which is Irish like. I have some Salmon and Chips here and a beer, good meal.

I head back to the hotel then make it by taxi to downtown again and head to George St. A famous Street with lots of bars on it. Here is some information on George St. The internationally renowned George Street, located in St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, is a short street populated mainly by bars and pubs. It is closed to traffic all evening and most of the business day, only being open from 8:00am until noon, to allow bars to restock their goods. In the evening, the street is only open to pedestrians. It is believed that George Street has the most pubs and bars per square foot of any street in North America, and is known to have bars that are open later than most others throughout most of Canada.

St Johns Harbour
The street does not usually become crowded with pedestrians until later at night, around midnight, and will remain busy until early in the morning, possibly as early as 6 am, despite the absence of the sale of alcohol. There are however, many hot dog vendors and a 24 hour restaurant near by.

Try out a few pubs here including Trapper John’s. Quite a neat place to come check out.

view of St. Johns