Under A Big, Big Sky

Banff Travel Blog

Under A Big, Big Sky

To listen to Cori Brewster’s outstanding songs from her Buffalo Street CD, go to:

www.sonicbids.com/epk/epk.aspx?epk_id=54256&poll_id=&name=&skin_id=&submission_id=&lv=1

Cori Brewster - Buffalo Street

Cori Brewster was born and raised in Banff, the Rocky Mountain resort town in Alberta, where the Brewster family has resided for over 120 years.

Robert waves to adoring fans
She began singing with her mom and sisters on Rocky Mountain trail rides. Like all young women do, Cori left home to experience life outside this small town, carrying with her that profound 'sense of place’ wherever she went.

Brewster entered
Red Deer College to study Physical Education but after graduating from University of Alberta, with a Bachelor of Physical Education, the pull of music was tugging at her soul. Cori moved to Winnipeg to begin her journey, recording her first singles that began her foray into country music. Several of Cori’s singles achieved chart topping success.

In 1989, Cori hit the ground running with the release of '
One More Mountain’.
Peter North of the
Edmonton Sun attests that “If anyone can relate to the classic country song Blue Canadian Rockies it’s Cori Brewster. The singer/songwriter, who was raised on the songs of country pioneers like Wilf Carter and Hank Snow, grew up in Banff listening to songs like Blue Canadian Rockies… In fairly short order the determined and talented artist released her first full-length CD. One More Mountain is a solid collection of originals”.

With appearances at the Calgary Stampede, The Tommy Hunter Show, Merritt Country Festival, Whistler Roots Festival and many hours on the road, '
One More Mountain’ was a hit. With a successful tour of Germany, an official showcase at SXSW and a nomination for female artist of the year by the Alberta Recording Industry recognition as a singer songwriter solidified.
New Molson Beer Advertising Slogan
The response for her video’s, 'Spin on a Red Brick Floor’ and 'Good as Gone’ was great, both achieved high rotation on
CMT and Country Beat. Cori’s commitment to the music industry was cemented.

In 1998, Cori released her 2nd CD, 'Stones’ to wonderful response.
Vancouver’s 'Xtra West’ magazine reported that 'Stones’ “is a collection of fresh and captivating songs by an authentic contemporary Canadian voice”. RoseAnna Schick of Connect magazine in Winnipeg declared that “Cori is a talented singer-songwriter with country roots and a folk/bluegrass sound…'Stones’ is an album full of feeling and integrity”.

Cori hit the road with Maria Dunn and Jennifer Gibson as the Sonic Sisters touring throughout
Ontario and organized a book store tour across the country until the promotion of her second release was cut short by the birth of her son, River in October 1998. Never one to let the grass grow too long under her feet, Brewster says that “After the birth of my son we ventured to New Zealand where I toured with a local songwriter and I then had the wonderful experience of being a music supervisor for a documentary on Alberta cowgirls, called Pretty Ladies, Fast Horses.
10 TBs eat at Old Spaghetti Factory
We have been lucky to have one of our songs on the television series,
Dawson Creek and we are starting to have songs recorded by other artists, which is wonderful”.

Cori’s 3rd CD, 'Large Bird Leaving’ was released in 2007. Maverick Magazine in the
UK confirms that “Cori is a musical treasure and her CD is captivating and impeccably produced… has you immediately reaching for the repeat button”. 'Large Bird Leaving’ was selected as Top Canadian Album at #7 on Folkdj-playlists for July 2007. Cori toured extensively in Alberta playing all Alberta’s major folk clubs and making inroads into rural concert series. Jope Langejans from the Forestburg Concert Series reported that “Cori touched my heart and soul with her music and her dedication to what is real in the world”.

“I recently returned from an adventure in
Iquitos, Peru where I had the privilege of performing on a 112 year old ship (Rio Amazonas) that cruised down the Amazon River.
Keith-Hayley-Ally-Mark-Manny in pub
The trip was out of this world to say the least. One of the highlights was singing for children of the Pacaya Samira reserve in their clapboard, one room, school house; seeing their smiling faces reminded me why I love to sing”.

'Buffalo Street’ Cori’s 4th CD reflect her continuing commitment to the craft of songwriting and attention to detail that so effectively evokes a time, a sense of place, a character and of course a range of emotion. '
Buffalo Street’ is a collection of beautiful stories inspired by the rich history of the Canadian Rockies and its people. Songs cover a diverse range of subjects and characters from the personal to the historical and from the genealogical to geographical.

Produced by Dave Clarke (producer of David Francey’s Juno awarded CD’s) and the multi-talented (fiddle, mandola, accordion) Adrian Dolan of the Bills. The project was recorded at Baker Studio’s in Victoria and rounding out the studio ensemble was Oliver Swain on Double Bass and Adam Dobres of the group Outlaw Social, Tim Tweedale on resophonic guitar, James Whittall on mandolin, Daniel Lapp on trumpet and Pharis Romero on background vocals.

For more info, go to her website: www.coribrewster.com

Ready to rumble from Inns at Banff
Riders gallop horses thru town
Riders gallop horses thru town
TravBuddies brunch at Brunos
TravBuddies brunch at Bruno's
Who picked this lousy joint? SORRY!
Who picked this lousy joint? SORRY!
Lets head to Warner Stables
Let's head to Warner Stables
Ally gets ready to mount her steed
Ally gets ready to mount her steed
Head em up, move em out, RAWHIDE
Head 'em up, move 'em out, RAWHIDE
Dan - I should have been a jockey
Dan - "I should have been a jockey"
TravBuddies horsing around
TravBuddies horsing around
Bow River upstream from Falls
Bow River upstream from Falls
Dan-Thanks Keith get my good side
Dan-"Thanks Keith get my good side"
Everyone checks out Bow River Falls
Everyone checks out Bow River Falls
Wendy shoots Bow River & mountains
Wendy shoots Bow River & mountains
Toto, were not in Kansas anymore
"Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore"
Im ready to take this home with me
I'm ready to take this home with me
What a wonderful way to spend a day
What a wonderful way to spend a day
Rosy shows Ally blog at Starbucks
Rosy shows Ally blog at Starbucks
Why here guys? Why not Tim Hortons?
Why here guys? Why not Tim Hortons?
Rosy & I chat - TBs hit Hot Springs
Manny joins us-we have camera duel
Manny joins us-we have camera duel
Hayley & Rosy check out menu
Hayley & Rosy check out menu
Tee hee, youll never get our faces
Tee hee, you'll never get our faces
Tee hee, you wont get us either
Tee hee, you won't get us either
After dinner, hit nearby Irish Pub